The reactivation of the tourist rail service from Montego Bay to the Appleton Estate in Siloah, St. Elizabeth, will soon become a reality.Minister of Tourism, Hon. Edmund Bartlett, who made the announcement at the official opening of the Joy Spence Appleton Estate Rum Experience (formerly the Appleton Estate Rum Tour) on January 18, said plans are being fast-tracked “to get the train up and running” as quickly as possible.He was responding to concerns raised in an earlier presentation by Chairman of J. Wray & Nephew, Clement ‘Jimmy’ Lawrence, that the absence of rail services between Montego Bay and St. Elizabeth was hurting the prospects of Appleton to bring much-needed traffic to its US$7.2-million upgrade to its rum tour facility and visitor centre.“This is a facility that has the potential to accommodate in excess of 200,000 visitors annually,” Mr. Lawrence noted.“We really appreciate all the support we have received from the Government, but we need the return of the train to truly maximise the potential of this facility,” he added.The Minister said the concerns raised will soon be appeased, as the Government is fully committed to get the South Coast leg of the rail services back on track “in very short order”.“I know your projections are to increase your visitor arrivals to 200,000, but my commitment to you is that we will take it to 250,000 by 2020,” Mr. Bartlett told the audience.“The last discussion I had before I went to Spain last week was with a team of entrepreneurs who are putting the dollars together. They were able to tell me that $40 million is now on the table to start the first leg of the programme and also the second leg which will take us into Appleton,” the Minister said.Mr. Bartlett further pointed out that Prime Minister, the Most Hon. Andrew Holness, has also been actively involved in the discussions and is “personally committed” to ensuring that the “Appleton experience is fully maximised”.Rail service between Montego Bay and St. Elizabeth, known then as the ‘Appleton Express’, ended in the 1990s.It offered visitors a scenic view of the South Coast region and a chance to tour the Appleton Rum Estate and factory by train.Also, visitors were able to make stops in communities along the way, where they interacted with residents while making purchases of food, clothing and craft items.“Our local vendors, including the craft people, have been hit hard by the continued absence of the rail services. This will be music to their ears, knowing that the Government is committed to get the train rolling on the South Coast once again,” Mr. Lawrence said.
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppBahamas, July 10th 2017: NASSAU: Rawson and Parliament Squares in the city centre bubbled with Bahamian pride in celebration of the 44th Bahamas Independence Anniversary National Pride and Flag-Raising Ceremony on Friday. Bahamians of all ages gathered in “the square” dressed in their Bahamian colors to enjoy the formalities, sights, sounds, and fanfare. The House of assembly and all of the surrounding area was also adorned in the national colors: black, aquamarine and gold. There could be no confusion as to what all the celebration was about: The delicious smell of Bahamian dishes on sale was not easy to pass by. Both local residents and tourists alike were captured by the sweet aroma of Bahamian food. Even homemade ice cream was crafted in the Bahamian national colors. There was also an array of festive Bahamian-coloured garments on sale along with unique accessories and trinkets to choose from.Story Courtesy: Sydnei Isaacs, Bahamas Information Services Moderated by eloquent child speakers Sara Williams, Reio Darling, Reanno Todd and Anthony Eccleston, the opening ceremony of National Pride Day was gracefully and effortlessly facilitated. Elegantly styled in an aquamarine Bahamian Androsia print gown, Governor General Her Excellency Dame Marguerite Pindling delivered beautiful and encouraging remarks on behalf of the event. She reminded all, “National unity is the awareness of a common identity and purpose among the citizens of a country” and that, “Much more work remains to be done for nation-building is an endless task.” The magnificence of young Bahamian talent was sufficiently showcased as participants and audience enjoyed cultural musical selections by The Bahamas National Youth Orchestra and The National Boys Choir. It is indeed an endless task as new generations of Bahamians will continue to shape the bright future of The Bahamas. As The Governor General commented, “They too must share in the process of continuing the building of our nation, and it is our duty to pass on to them the established values and principles of our Nation.” In closing, Dame Marguerite, in the company of the young Bahamian moderators, was ceremoniously greeted by members of the Royal Bahamas Defence Force and the Royal Bahamas Police Force carrying the Bahamian Flag. Together, they hoisted the Flag in the centre of the square. Everyone in attendance then sang the National Anthem. As Bahamian pride filled the atmosphere, Dame Marguerite advised, “We must fully commit ourselves to maintain this precious land as a free and Independent nation where we live together in love and unity.” She ended by heartily wishing The Bahamas a happy 44thIndependence Anniversary. Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:
.@myfabolouslife has set off the #PartyTour inside the #AAA! Check out our Snap (👻 AAarena) to keep up with tonight’s show! pic.twitter.com/LrfmoiL0aG— AA Arena (@AAarena) April 16, 2017The tour will now be making its way up north with a stop in Tampa on Sunday. MIAMI (WSVN) – Chris Brown made a stop in Downtown Miami for Easter weekend, and for the popular singer, this is very much a working holiday.The Grammy winner took the stage at the American Airlines Arena, Saturday night, as part of his Party Tour.Concertgoers watched on as Brown and other famous faces likes 50 Cent, Fabolous and O.T. Genasis wowed the crowd. Copyright 2019 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Dan Cohen AUTHOR The Defense Department would be required to prepare force structure plans and an infrastructure assessment that could be used to determine the level of excess capacity in DOD, according to the conference report for the fiscal 2016 defense authorization bill released Tuesday.The bill language does not directly link the analysis to a justification for a new BRAC round, but a summary acknowledges that a new capacity study is needed in light of the department’s repeated requests to hold a new round of base closures.“The conferees are mindful of DOD concerns that excess basing capacity is a financial drag on the department,” according to a summary from the House Armed Services Committee.“They are also cognizant of the fact that the most recent capacity survey is more than a decade old, does not reflect the impacts or cost of the most recent BRAC round, and does not account for the probable future force posture. The NDAA proposal directs a new capacity study that reflects the current threat profile and makes conservative assumptions about future end strength,” the summary states.The final bill language closely follows a provision in the House version, which directs the department to include the capacity study with its FY 2017 budget request and calls for it to submit:force structure plans for each of the services;an assessment of the probable threats to national security;end strength levels and major military force units;an inventory of worldwide installations;a description of the infrastructure necessary to support the force structure plans;a discussion of categories of excess infrastructure and infrastructure capacity; andan assessment of the value of retaining certain excess infrastructure to accommodate contingency, mobilization and surge requirements.The bill also directs the Government Accountability Office to review the force structure plans and infrastructure inventory within 60 days after it is submitted by DOD.As expected, the compromise version of the annual defense policy measure retains the prohibition against holding a new BRAC round included in the House and Senate versions of the legislation, a view reinforced in the committee summary.“Conferees are concerned that once an asset is lost through the BRAC process, it can never be regained, or is prohibitively expensive to replace. Hence, they are deeply skeptical that BRAC is in the country’s national security interest,” it states.The text of the conference report and a summary are available on the committee website.
Arjun Kapoor, Malaika AroraVarinder ChawlaArjun Kapoor and Malaika Arora have been painting the town red with their romance and their several public outings have sparked rumours of their impending wedding which believe that it will happen this year. So when Arjun was asked about the marriage speculations with Malaika, he cleared the air saying that he’s not getting married his ladylove.Revealing the reason why Arjun is not marrying Malaika, the actor told Mumbai Mirror, “Usually men lose hair after getting married and not before (laughs). To put things in perspective, as an actor, why would I want to get married when I am sporting a bald look? There would be pictures of it everywhere! On a serious note, I am not getting married. I have not hidden anything from anyone and I think my personal life deserves respect and dignity for that.”Arjun further said that he is happy in his life and doesn’t want to add more adjectives to it. “My personal and professional lives help me sleep well at night and I would like it to remain like that,” he added.A few days ago, when Arjun’s close friend Parineeti Chopra was asked about the actor’s marriage by Anaita Shroff Adajania on her chat show Feet Up With The Stars season 2, the Kesari actor brushed off the question under the carpet.”I don’t know if he is getting married,” Parineeti said when she was asked if she was aware about Arjun’s rumoured wedding with Malaika Arora.Although Malaika and Arjun have denied getting married anytime soon, fans are having tough time believing what the lovebirds have been saying.
Mahendra Singh Dhoni.Twitter/Cricket World CupFormer Indian skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni is quite well-known for his heroic performances that have given India many trophies in the last decade. The 38-year-old has achieved all the accolades a cricketer can dream of in his career. He has given India a World Cup after 28 years and is arguably the best-ever skipper to lead the Men in Blue. The hard-hitter is known for the way he finishes of matches keeping his head cool. But, he has recently been spotted playing a different sport in a video posted by his fan club on Twitter.Is Dhoni planning to play a new sport?The reality is that Dhoni, who is a Lieutenant Colonel (Honorary) of the Parachute Regiment of the Territorial Army is currently doing his two-month training with his battalion (106 Para TA battalion) in the Kashmir Valley. He has taken a two-month break from the Indian team. The wicket-keeper batsman joined his unit on July 31 and will be there doing his duties of patrolling, guard and post duty till August 15.Lt. Colonel Mahendra Singh Dhoni spotted playing volleyball with his Para Territorial Battalion!Video Courtesy : DB Creation #IndianArmy #MSDhoni #Dhoni pic.twitter.com/H6LwyC4ALb— MS Dhoni Fans Official (@msdfansofficial) August 4, 2019As a part of his training, he was seen playing volley-ball in a video by one of his fan clubs on Twitter. The cricketer was seen serving the ball to the opponents. The video has gone viral on social media.Dhoni became a qualified paratrooper in 2015 after he successfully completed five parachute training jumps from an army aircraft at the Agra training camp. Mahendra Singh Dhoni and Rishabh Pant.Twitter/BCCIPost India’s exit from the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 the former skipper was criticised by cricket fans and former cricketers. They argued that the 38-year-old cricketer has become old and is batting at a very slow pace. Speculations about Dhoni’s retirement were also doing the rounds.When Dhoni opted out of the West Indies series, the speculations started to gain ground. But Indian chief selector MSK Prasad clarified that Dhoni will be back in the team as the second-choice keeper since Rishabh Pant will become India’s first-choice keeper in the future. The ageing cricketer will help in the grooming process of the youngster Pant. As reported by NDTV, Dhoni is expected to return for India in T20 internationals against New Zealand and South Africa in February 2020.
Share Listen Listen 00:00 /00:59 Photo via Pixabay X To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: 00:00 /07:55 To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: Texas also saw a slight increase in the number of undocumented workers, though their overall share of the workforce was down.“Texas is also attracting U.S.-born workers and legal immigrant workers and those numbers are growing more rapidly,” according to Cohn. She said economic opportunity is likely what’s driving immigrants and others to come to the state.Using the interactive graph below, you can see undocumented population trends in Texas, the United States and other states, since 1990.The study comes as the Trump administration railed against Central American arrivals at the U.S. border and threatened to close it down. ….All will stay in Mexico. If for any reason it becomes necessary, we will CLOSE our Southern Border. There is no way that the United States will, after decades of abuse, put up with this costly and dangerous situation anymore!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 24, 2018Pew data also shows the median length of time an undocumented immigrant has lived in the U.S. is 15 years. X A new Pew Research Center study shows the undocumented population nationwide has dropped to its lowest number in a decade, down to 10.7 million people in 2016. The decline is partly due to a sharp decrease in the number of unauthorized Mexican immigrants arriving to the United States.However, the nationwide trend does not extend to the border state of Texas, though California, Arizona and New Mexico did see a decline in the unauthorized population since 2007.“Nationally, we’re seeing a decline in the number of unauthorized immigrants but in Texas the number was stable,” Pew researcher D’Vera Cohn told Houston Matters in an interview. The undocumented population in Texas was 1.55 million people in 2007 and 1.6 million people in 2016, creeping up 3% over those ten years. By contrast, in the 12 years prior to 2007, Texas’ unauthorized population doubled.
February 29, 2016 Enroll Now for Free Free Workshop | August 28: Get Better Engagement and Build Trust With Customers Now 2 min read This hands-on workshop will give you the tools to authentically connect with an increasingly skeptical online audience. Actors and entertainers often have favorite causes that they lend their spotlight to, but sometimes it makes for strange bedfellows.This week, attendees at the RSA Conference in San Francisco, an annual gathering of members of the cybersecurity and cryptography community, will hear from speakers such as Symantec CEO Michael A. Brown; Bret Arsenault, Microsoft’s chief information security officer; and Michelle Dennedy, Cisco’s chief privacy officer.Related: These are the Worst Passwords That You Still Keep UsingBut there’s another notable name on the list: Sean Penn.That’s right, the actor — who made headlines of his own recently after secretly interviewing the notorious Mexican drug lord Joaquín Archivaldo Guzmán Loera, a.k.a. El Chapo, for Rolling Stone — will have a chat with RSA’s president Amit Yoran, “covering a variety of topics.”Related: Business Travelers: Don’t Be Lured by the Siren Song of Free Wi-FiPenn isn’t the first famous face that has attended the RSA Conference, or the only one that will be there this week. The cast of CBS’s CSI: Cyber will also give a keynote presentation.In 2014, Stephen Colbert gave the conference’s closing keynote address amid controversy that RSA, the IT security company behind the conference, had an undisclosed $10 million contract with the NSA to develop a back door for encryption software. And last year, Alec Baldwin was on hand to talk about the “intersection between Hollywood and Privacy.”