Dec 29, 2005 (CIDRAP News) – China has recorded its seventh human case of H5N1 avian influenza, involving a 41-year-old factory worker who died Dec 21, according to the Chinese news service Xinhua.The victim was a woman surnamed Zhou who lived in Sanming City in the eastern province of Fujian, Xinhua reported today. She became ill with fever and pneumonia on Dec 6 and was hospitalized 2 days later.Samples from the patient initially tested negative for the virus, but later tests by provincial and national laboratories were positive, the report said.The Chinese Ministry of Health said no poultry outbreak of H5N1 was reported near where Zhou lived, according to Xinhua. The report did not suggest how she might have contracted the virus.People who were in close contact with the patient are under medical observation, and no problems have been seen so far, the report said.China’s previous six human cases have been widely scattered, including two deaths in Anhui province and nonfatal cases in Hunan, Liaoning, and Jiangxi provinces, plus Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, Xinhua said. The last previous case was reported Dec 16 in a 35-year-old man from Jiangxi; the outcome has not yet been announced.The World Health Organization’s current overall human case count stands at 141, including 73 deaths, not counting the Chinese case reported today.A trial of a human H5N1 vaccine developed in China began Dec 21 with six volunteers, Xinhua reported. “The whole trials will need nine months of tests, but initial results are expected within the first three,” the story said.China has reported 31 outbreaks of H5N1 avian flu in poultry so far this year, according to Xinhua. Twenty-six of those have occurred since Oct 19, an Associated Press report said.
Former world number one Caroline Wozniacki also pulled out in Italy.Wozniacki, 28, withdrew from her first-round match against American Danielle Collins because of a leg injury, having lost the first set 7-6 (7-5).It is the second straight tournament at which the Dane has been forced to retire early on.She trailed 3-0 against Alize Cornet in the opening round of the Madrid Open earlier this month before pulling out with a back injury.American Collins, 25, will now play two-time Grand Slam winner Garbine Muguruza of Spain in the second round of the Italian Open today following Wozniacki’s withdrawal.“Obviously, I feel for Caroline, what she’s going through with her injuries,” said Collins.“It’s never fun to go out there and play against somebody that’s hurt, and dealing with that kind of pain. I was happy with the way I played, but it’s just not a fun situation.”Williams has also struggled with injury – pulling out of the Miami Open at the third-round stage in March, after a viral illness prevented her from competing in Indian Wells.The French Open tournament kicks off on 26 May and Williams is chasing her fourth title, while Wozniacki, a former Australian Open champion, has never gone beyond the quarter-final stage.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Twenty-three time Grand Slam champion Serena Williams plans to compete at the French Open despite withdrawing from the Italian Open with a knee injury.The American, 37, was set to play sister Venus Williams in the second round but said she would be “concentrating on rehab” now.“I look forward to seeing you all at the French Open and next year in Rome,” she added. Serena roars on the way to qualifying for Friday’s semi finals on Tuesday night
A Dallas Police office’s adult son his recovering in the hospital after his father mistook him for an intruder and shot him.The incident occurred around 6 p.m Saturday near DeSoto.When authorities arrived to the home, they found the victim bleeding from his right forearm.The victim was then taken to an area hospital for treatment on the non-life-threatening injury.Authorities say that they are continuing to investigate the incident, however, no arrest have been made and no charges have been filed.“The DeSoto Police Department has treated this like every other case that we would have had and we would’ve handled it the exact same way that if any charges are appropriate later on, they’ll be forwarded over to the DA’s office for them to make a decision,” Pete Schulte, DeSoto police spokesman said.The names of the two parties involved have not yet been released.
Authorities with the Transportation Security Administration say their security officers found a loaded handgun in a flight attendant’s carry-on bag last week at a Florida airport.According to The Orlando Sentinel, officers arrested 28-year-old Joseph Brozyna on Thursday, charging him with carrying a concealed firearm in a prohibited place.The police reports states that the Frontier Airlines flight attendant was passing through security at Orlando International Airport when TSA agents discovered the .40-caliber pistol.Brozyna acknowledged that the gun was his, and told police that he recently had been on a road trip with the gun in the bag, and forgot to remove it.However, a search revealed that his concealed carry permit was suspended.Frontier Airlines has suspended the flight attendant while it investigates the matter.A statement from the airline reads, “The safety and security of all passengers and crew members are uncompromising priorities at Frontier Airlines and we have a zero tolerance policy for any violation of law or security protocols.”
Authorities in Virginia are currently searching for two suspects who robbed a Denny’s and killed a DoorDash employee who entered the restaurant during the robbery.Officials say two masked men in their late teens or early 20’s entered the restaurant brandishing a gun and a baton around 2:20 am on December 26th.The suspects then demanded property from both employees and diners before shooting one of the customers in the leg and in the torso.As the suspects made their escape, a DoorDash employee by the name of Yusuf Ozgur attempted to enter the restaurant to pick up an order. He was then hit in the head by the suspect holding a baton before he was fatally shot by the suspect armed with a gun.When authorities arrived, they applied a tourniquet to the victim who was shot in the leg and the torso, however, Ozgur was pronounced dead at the scene.Surveillance video showing the men entering the restaurant wearing dark clothes, masks, and gloves has since been released to the public. The FBI and area police are offering a $10,000 reward for any information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the two suspects.
Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue responded to an incident where a 42-boat crashed into a jetty early Tuesday morning.Authorities said the vessel hit the jetty near Port Everglades just after midnight at Hollywood’s John Lloyd State Park.Four people were taken to the hospital with injuries. One woman was ejected from the vessel and suffered serious injuries.All four people were rushed to the hospital and are expected to make a full recovery.Officials are still investigating what caused the boat to crash.
A Broward County man who is accused of threatening to kill President Trump in a Facebook Live video was denied bond in Fort Lauderdale federal court on Wednesday.Prosecutors from the U.S. Attorney’s Office had asked that Chauncy Devonte Lump be held on pre-trial detention, arguing that he is a danger to the community. Judge Patrick Hunt agreed.The 26-year-old is facing a federal charge of threats against the President of the United States, in addition to a county charge of making a false bomb report.The criminal complaint states that he posted a seven-minute video on Facebook Live on January 3 under the username “BlackMan Vs America,” in which he threatened multiple times to kill the President.“He killed my leader, and I have to kill him. I am ready for Donald,” Lump says in the video.According to authorities, Lump made the video in response to the death of Iranian General Qassem Soleimani, who was killed by an American drone strike in Baghdad, Iraq earlier this month.“I need to find the Donald, because if I don’t find him, I am going to have to blow up Broward County,” Lump adds, according to the complaint.The report also states that Lump had “what appears to be a loaded AK-47” in the Facebook Live.Lump admitted to law enforcement officials that he made the video and told them “the threats in the video were intended to be a joke,” according to the criminal complaint.“However, at no point in the video did Lump claim he was joking,” the complaint adds.Court records show that Lump lives in an Oakland Park apartment and holds a concealed weapon/firearm permit in Florida. He is also licensed and employed as a security officer.
A patient in Southern California has become the third person in the U.S. to be diagnosed with the new pneumonia-like virus from China, according to health officials.The Centers for Disease Control confirmed a traveler from the Chinese city of Wuhan, which is where the outbreak began, tested positive for the virus.That patient is in isolation at a hospital and is in good condition, a release from the agency states.The virus can cause fever, coughing, wheezing and pneumonia. It is a member of the coronavirus family, which is in turn related to the deadly SARS and MERS viruses that caused outbreaks in previous years. The first known case in California follows the first domestic diagnosis in Washington state on January 21 and another in Chicago last Friday. Both of those patients — in Washington, a man in his 30s, and in Chicago, a woman in her 60s — had traveled to China.The death toll from the virus in China has reached 56 so far. That country has issued massive travel bans in hard-hit sections of its borders while it tries to stop the virus from spreading. Meanwhile, the U.S. Consulate in Wuhan announced on Sunday that it would evacuate its personnel as well as some private citizens aboard a charter flight.The CDC expects more Americans to be diagnosed with the virus, which is believed to have an incubation period of about two weeks. The worldwide number of confirmed cases is approaching 2,000.In addition, the CDC is screening passengers on direct and connecting flights from Wuhan at major airports in Atlanta, Chicago, New York City, San Francisco and Los Angeles.