first_imgA Transasia ATR-72, registration B-22810 performing flight GE-222 from Kaohsiung to Makung on the island of Penghu (Taiwan) with 54 passengers and 4 crew, has crashed was on final approach to Makung’s runway 02 in strong gusting winds killing 47.The aircraft on its second attempt to land crashed about 3000ft short of the runway, struck buildings and burst into flames. According to reports 11 people received injuries and were taken to hospitals.Website Aviation Herald says according to Taiwan authorities the ATR-72-212A registration B-22810 was 14 years in service. The captain of the flight was 60 years of age with 22,900 hours of experience and his first officer was 39 with 2,300 hours of experience. Taiwan’s DGCA said that the crew had decided to go around and positioned for a second approach, but contact was lost during the second attempt to land. The weather conditions for landing were suitable at 5000ft visibility and two other aircraft had successfully landed just prior to the accident aircraft.Aviation Herald said that emergency services reported that the crew had aborted the first approach due to heavy rain reducing visibility.Two people aboard the plane were French citizens and the rest Taiwanese.Typhoon Matmo had just passed across the island, causing heavy rains.Over 200 airline flights had been canceled earlier in the day due to rain and strong winds.Penghu, is a scenic chain of 64 islands and a popular tourist site about 90 miles southwest of Taipei.last_img read more

first_imgIn a bid to push for a Ram Mandir in Ayodhya, the Vishwa Hindu Parishad has said that it planned to enroll 25,000 fresh Bajrang Dal “sainiks” as volunteers and also impart training in tridents to some of them.The new recruits would be imparted with “trishul deeksha,” the VHP said, but did not clarify if tridents would also be distributed to the Bajrang Dal members.Bajranj Dal was the youth wing of the VHP.The right-wing outfit had planned a “dharma sabha” in Ayodhya on November 25 and said representatives of various Hindu groups across the country would attend. A gathering would be held in Delhi on December 9, three days after the anniversary of the Babri Masjid demolition.”There is anger among Hindus due to the adjournment of the case,” said VHP vice-president Champat Rai, adding that the wait for a temple had now become “unbearable.”The VHP had threatened direct action. “If necessary, Bajrang Dal’s dedicated workers can march to Ayodhya any time for the construction of the temple on the instructions of the seers,” said Bholendra, VHP Awadh organisation secretary in a statement.Mr. Bholendra justified that the weapons training to Bajrang Dal recruits, saying it was part of “Indian tradition,” and such programmes were held to safeguard Hindu religion and culture.The VHP’s meeting in Ayodhya cames at a time when Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray was scheduled to visit Ayodhya on November 24 for two days.The events had alarmed Babri litigant Iqbal Ansari, who said the Muslims in Ayodhya felt insecure due to the heavy presence of Hindu outfits aggressively campaigning for a temple.”In 1992, too, the crowds gathered in a similar fashion. Mosques were destroyed, homes set on fire. What guarantee is there that something won’t happen if crowds gather again,” Mr. Ansari asked.He had threatened to leave Ayodhya if the security of the place was not increased before the VHP meet.last_img read more

first_img2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting FILE – In this file photo dated Wednesday, Jan. 11, 2017, Athletic Bilbao’s Aymeric Laporte in action during Copa del Rey, 16 round, against FC Barcelona at the Camp Nou in Barcelona, Spain. 23-year-old Athletic Bilbao says defender Frenchman Aymeric Laporte is reported Monday Jan. 29, 2018, to have paid his buyout clause, looks set to leave the club, opening the way for a transfer to Manchester City. (AP Photo/Manu Fernandez, FILE)MANCHESTER, England — Manchester City signed France under-21 international Aymeric Laporte from Athletic Bilbao for a club-record fee of 65 million euros ($80 million) on Tuesday, taking its spending on center backs since 2014 to about $250 million.The 23-year-old Laporte came close to joining City in 2016 — when Pep Guardiola took charge of the current Premier League leaders — but backed out of the move after feeling the Frenchman wasn’t quite ready.ADVERTISEMENT Vincent Kompany, the club’s other center back, has been at City since 2008 and is the captain. But the Belgium international might be surplus to requirements from next season, especially considering his injury record.City also spent about 120 million pounds (then $155 million) on three fullbacks — Kyle Walker, Benjamin Mendy and Danilo — in the last transfer window.“Last summer we had a problem, with six or seven players out of contract and over 30 years old, so we needed to make a change,” Guardiola said. “We decided to sign four or five different players and at this stage, Manchester City, when you want to compete at the highest level, you need to spend.“One day, maybe this club will spend 130-200 million pounds on one player. So far, we haven’t had to do that.”Laporte made his debut in 2012 for Bilbao under Marcelo Bielsa — a coach revered by Guardiola — and quickly became one of the Spanish league’s most promising players. He said he likes to bring the ball out from the back, giving him the pedigree that suits Guardiola’s vision and making him a likely rival for Stones to play alongside Otamendi.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers Foes first, friends after “Defenders do this more than ever before,” Laporte said in an interview with FourFourTwo magazine. “I spend as much time in training and matches working on starting attacks as I do stopping them.“I’m usually quite calm in possession, so this helps initiate quicker, more fluid attacks from the back. I also like playing long, cross-field passes to change the position of an attack and give us another option. Variety is important.”Barcelona has previously been linked with Laporte, who has similar qualities to Gerard Pique.The size of the fee reflects the shortage of top-quality, left-footed center backs around at the moment — and comes two weeks after City turned down the chance to sign Alexis Sanchez partly because of the Chile forward’s financial demands.Laporte has signed a contract until 2023 and becomes City’s most expensive player, with the fee exceeding the reported 55 million pounds spent on Kevin De Bruyne in August 2015.City has four of the five costliest defenders in Premier League history — Laporte, Stones, Walker, and Mendy.Laporte, who hasn’t played for France’s senior team, will be available for the knockout stage of the Champions League.“All I know,” he said in an Instagram message to Athletic’s fans on Monday, “is that I will never forget the place where I’ve become a better player and a better person. That’s why this is not a ‘goodbye,’ only a ‘see you soon.’” LATEST STORIES Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:59Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City Eighteen months later, City clinched the signing of the left-footed, ball-playing defender after meeting his buy-out clause, strengthening the team’s options in what has been a problem position for Guardiola and previous managers.“He’s strong in the air, good quality with the pass. He is experienced, fast and he has the skills we need,” Guardiola said. “He is the perfect age, 23 years old, so hopefully he will have a long career here at Manchester City.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutLaporte is the second most expensive defender in soccer history, with only Virgil van Dijk — who joined Liverpool from Southampton for 75 million pounds ($100 million) at the start of January — costing more.Since City won its most recent Premier League title in 2014, Eliaquim Mangala has arrived from FC Porto for a reported 42 million pounds and Nicolas Otamendi joined from Valencia for 32 million pounds in 2015. Another center back, John Stones, cost an initial 47.5 million pounds in 2016. View comments MOST READ Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Read Nextlast_img read more

first_imgincidentsPhagwara (Pb), Apr 28 (PTI) The activists of the Shiv Sena allegedly burnt a Pakistani flag on the National Highway 1 today to protest against terror attacks on security forces in Jammu and Kashmir.Led by Senas state Vice-President Inderjit Karwal, the protesters began the march from Hanumangarhi temple and came to NH 1, converging at sugar mill crossing.Sporting Senas flags, they allegedly raised slogans against Pakistan and also targeted the Centre and the Jammu and Kashmir government, officials said.They allegedly burnt an effigy of the BJP-led NDA government at sugar mill crossing.The protesters alleged that Pakistans ISI was “sponsoring terror attacks” on security forces in Jammu and Kashmir while the Union government was “soft-pedalling” over it to save the state government in which the BJP was a coalition partner.”Our army and paramilitary jawans are being targeted by Pakistan-sponsored terrorists in order to destabilise India and create a fear psychosis but Modi the government is doing precious little to control the situation,” he alleged.He claimed that a fear-psychosis was being created ahead of the annual Amarnath yatra.”Amarnath pilgrimage will be held at every cost for which foolproof security arrangements should be made,” he demanded.Karwal batted for Governors rule in Jammu and Kashmir and also demanded snapping of all ties with Pakistan, including discontinuation of the Indo-Pak bus service.Meanwhile, Phagwara SP Harwinder Singh Sandhu, who was present at the protest site, said the agitation had no effect on the movement of Indo-Pak international buses which cross through the town.advertisement”Both the buses from Delhi to Lahore and vice-versa had crossed Phagwara smoothly a little before the protest had started,” he said. PTI Cor SUN VJ IKAlast_img read more