When Syracuse last played a top-10 team — No. 8 Clemson on Oct. 19 — the Orange played a high line, pressed and set up to attack one of the nation’s best teams. Ninety minutes later, SU had been battered for seven goals at home. SU Head coach Ian McIntyre and multiple players called that loss “embarrassing.” He said he didn’t set the team up right.Sunday against No. 4 Virginia, the Orange needed to be more measured. More cautious. Then, Virginia scored two goals in the opening 18 minutes in Sunday’s ACC tournament quarterfinal. McIntyre had no other options. He subbed in forward Luther Archimede for midfielder Noah Singelmann. The Orange had to chase goals, even with the risk of getting embarrassed again.And while Syracuse outplayed the Cavaliers for much of the second half, it wasn’t enough. The Orange couldn’t overcome a slow start against a UVA defense that had conceded just five goals in 16 matches entering Sunday. Virginia (15-1-1, 6-1-1 Atlantic Coast) beat Syracuse (7-6-5, 2-4-2), 2-1, in the ACC tournament quarterfinal Sunday in Charlottesville, Virginia. SU will now await its NCAA tournament fate, which will be announced on Nov. 18.“Our guys left it all out there today,” McIntyre said. “Certainly not the start you want to go out and concede a couple of soft goals, but we grew into the second half and kept pushing forward until the final whistle. We just ran out of time today.”The Orange played 120 minutes on the road against North Carolina on Tuesday, traveled back to Syracuse, then back down south again to take on Virginia, who had nine days off to rest since the end of the ACC regular season.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textMassimo Ferrin started up top, appearing much healthier than he did in the Orange’s first-round match on Tuesday. His health, plus the return of Nyal Higgins to Syracuse’s backline, enabled McIntyre to return to his preferred 3-5-2 formation. In the opening 20 minutes, SU’s three center backs struggled to cope with UVA forward Daryl Dike. Dike ran at Sondre Norheim at the top of the penalty area, and as Norheim went in to tackle the ball, he brought him down and the referee pointed to the spot, awarding the Cavaliers a penalty.Syracuse goalie Christian Miesch, whose penalty save in the opening round helped them advance, guessed correctly again. He drove to his right and outstretched his hand, but Joe Bell’s penalty had just enough height to find the back of the net. When Dike took on fellow center back Dylan McDonald and beat him to the end line eight minutes later, Dike’s cross across the penalty area opened up the Syracuse defense. With Miesch now out of position at his near post, Nathaniel Crofts tapped the ball into the empty net. “He’s a dominant player,” McIntyre said of Dike. “He allows other players to play off him and made it difficult for us.”Immediately after the second goal, Archimede came on for Singelmann. One fewer midfielder and one more attacker meant that Syracuse would be more open through the middle, leaving them potentially exposed for counterattacks and adding more pressure to its back three which had already been stretched. “We went to chase the game at that time,” McIntyre said. “You’re 2-0 down and that next goal is going to be important for the game. They were dangerous on the counterattack because we were throwing numbers forward.”Syracuse registered a few half chances in the opening half, including a pair of John Austin-Ricks shots — one easily saved and another off target from inside the box. Virginia regained control of the match to start the second frame, and Miesch made a few critical saves and punch outs on set pieces to keep the Orange within striking distance.The Orange earned a corner in the 69th minute. The ball was delivered to the near post and UVA goalie Colin Shutler came out to play it. Before he could, a Virginia defender flicked it on to the far post, where Archimede was left unmarked. He didn’t miss. His outstretched right foot set up a frenetic final 20 minutes where the Orange probed and attacked, but never found the tying goal. “It would’ve been easy for us to roll over and accept defeat today, but we kept pushing until the final whistle,” McIntyre said. “I’m proud of effort today.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on November 10, 2019 at 4:27 pm Contact Anthony: firstname.lastname@example.org
Women handball club ‘Lokomotiva’ is the junior champion of BiH after defeating handball club ‘Iskra’ from Bugojno in sports hall in Vitez, where the finals were played, reports sportsport.baThird place went to handball club ‘Katarina’ from Mostar who defeated the club ‘Knežopoljka’.Coach of handball club ‘5 Plus Vitez’ Kristijan Blaž who was one of the organisers said to Fena that he hopes that everyone enjoyed playing in Vitez and congratulated to winning teams and their players.
Zurich, Switzerland | AFP | FIFA president Gianni Infantino built momentum towards expanding the World Cup Friday as some powerbrokers appeared to back the move, while sceptics will have to be convinced before a final call in January.Growing the cash cow tournament from 32 to as many as 48 teams topped the agenda at this week’s FIFA Council meeting.The powerful 36-member panel weighed proposals for a 40-team competition with eight groups of five teams, or 10 groups of four.A 48-team format, favoured by Infantino, would see the 16 group winners of a qualifying round automatically book a place in the tournament, while an additional 32 teams would compete in a new pre-tournament play-off.From the play-off, 16 nations would then move on to the World Cup itself.FIFA said the council would make a final decision at a meeting on January 9 and 10 .But there were signs Infantino was winning the necessary support.“The trend (in the council) is towards a larger format,” Belgian council member Michel D’Hooghe said, adding that the allocation of entries among the confederations remained a source of debate.A council member, who requested anonymity, said the newly crowned head of European football, Aleksander Ceferin, was in favour of a larger tournament.Critics have voiced concern that a bigger competition would dilute the quality of World Cup play and add new fixtures to football’s already packed calendar.According to the source, some council members were uneasy about the 48-team format but said Infantino “strongly pushed” for it.Infantino was elected to succeed the disgraced Sepp Blatter as FIFA’s chief in February, with a pledge to grow football globally even as the sport’s governing body reeled from an unprecedented set of corruption scandals.On Friday the 46-year-old Swiss-Italian national insisted that any decision to expand the World Cup would be made solely with a view to grow the game.“The decision on expansion is not a financial or political decision. It has to be a sporting decision. We’ll have to decide what is best for football,” he said. Share on: WhatsApp The council on Thursday backed plans to allow countries to co-host the World Cup to ease the immense financial burden of organising the tournament.Bidding for the 2026 World Cup is due to open in the summer of 2017, but a rotational policy will preclude the previous two host confederations — Europe in 2018 and Asia in 2022 — from staging the tournament.Israel/Palestine tensions The Palestine Football Association had hoped FIFA brass would get tough on Israel this week over six clubs based in settlements in the occupied West Bank.Palestinian leaders called on FIFA to either expel the clubs in settlements, which are illegal under international law, or relocate them within Israel’s recognised borders.But the council put off making a decision on the thorny issue, as the head of FIFA’s monitoring mission for the dispute, South Africa’s Tokyo Sexwale, said he was unable to finalise his full report.Infantino told journalists he would travel to the region, “when it will be meaningful to go, when there is something that is moving in the right way.”Sexwale is due to deliver his report in November at a meeting expected to include both Israeli and Palestinian representatives.Infantino urged both sides “to come with an open mind, and a constructive attitude.”“We are not a political organisation. We are not here to find political solutions. We are hear to talk football,” he said.Israel’s ever-tense ties with the Muslim world also forced FIFA to reassign its next congress, after Kuala Lumpur withdrew as host because Malaysia’s government said it would not grant visas to Israeli officials.The council picked Bahrain’s capital Manama to host the upcoming congress, scheduled for May 11.
Officials are reporting that an FIU student was robbed at gunpoint while in one of the University’s parking garages.The incident occurred Friday at the campus located in Southwest Miami-Dade.According to the report, the victim parked in Parking Garage 6 after returning from the bank and was approached by one of two suspects.The suspect was said to have brandished a gun and then fled the scene with another suspect in black or gray Honda.The victim was injured during the robbery, however, the extent of his injuries is unknown at this time.Authorities believe the suspects may have followed the student to the school from the bank.Investigators are asking anyone with any information on this incident to contact FIU Police at 305-348-2626,.
An airline mechanic pleaded guilty on Wednesday to sabotaging a jetliner with 150 people aboard at Miami International Airport, causing the pilot to abort the flight just before its scheduled takeoff.Abdul-Majeed Marouf Ahmed Alani entered his plea in federal court in Miami. He previously admitted to investigators that he had committed the sabotage in order to receive overtime to fix the American Airlines jet, which he later did.“I do admit the guilt,” Alani said through an Arabic interpreter.The 60-year-old man, a naturalized U.S. citizen originally from Iraq, has been an airline mechanic for 30 years.According to prosecutors, he has a brother in Iraq who may be involved with the Islamic State extremist group. They add that Alani made statements wishing Allah would use “divine powers” in order to harm non-Muslims.Investigators also say he had Islamic State videos on his phone that show mass murders, and that he did not tell the FBI that he traveled to Iraq last March, following his arrest.Despite the evidence, Alani was not charged with any terrorism-related crimes. He has pleaded guilty to attempted destruction of an aircraft, which carries a maximum 20-year prison sentence. He is scheduled to be sentenced on March 4.Court documents reveal the sabotage involved gluing Styrofoam inside the nose of the Boeing 737, in order to disable the crew’s ability to monitor airspeed, altitude and the pitch of the plane. Authorities explain that if the flight had taken off as intended on July 17 for Nassau, Bahamas, it would have crashed.Alani’s actions on that day were caught on surveillance video, and co-workers also identified him as the suspect.Jonathan Meltz, Alani’s attorney, says his client has led a “law-abiding life” and that he did not intend to harm the aircraft or the people aboard. He adds that Alani’s sole motivation was “just trying to provide for his family like most of us try to do.”
Florida Senator Annette Taddeo filed a bill on Monday that, if passed, would make the day after Halloween a school holiday.The bill would require district school boards to designate the day after Halloween as a school holiday, unless Halloween falls on a Friday or Saturday.If the bill passe it would go into effect on July 1, 2020.