first_imgHugs, kisses, thank yous and congratulatory messages were the order of the day for the three Jamaican members of the championship winning West Indies Under-19 cricket team who returned to the country yesterday.Led by several members of the cricketing fraternity, including Jamaica’s West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) president, Dave Cameron and Jamaica Cricket Association (JCA) president, Wilford ‘Billy’ Heaven, Michael Frew, Odean Smith and Shahid Crooks were met at Norman Manley International Airport.”What you did, you showed all of us what is possible when we get together as a people,” stated a beaming Cameron, who led a series of tributes at a welcome ceremony held at the airport.”It is a message that if we get together and believe in what we are doing and assisting each other, then the sky is the limit.”The regional cricket boss, who expressed apologies for Minister of Sports Natalie Neita Headley, also used the occasion to give assurance that the entire team will in due course be “properly” rewarded.”We have given you some tokens, but we believe we need to find meaningful ways of rewarding you for what you have done,” he said.Organised by WICB sponsor, Digicel, the ceremony also had in attendance several family members of the players, as well as their school coaches, principals and well wishers.”To beat India in Bangladesh is a big thing,” said Heaven.”I want to say to you congratulations and all the best in your future endeavours in the field of cricket.”SELF-BELIEFHeaven, who was also accompanied by Jamaica Under-19 chairman of selectors, Wayne Lewis, JCA secretary Fritz Harris and chief executive officer, Courtney Francis, also commended the team of their self belief.”During your send-off for the World Cup, we, the JCA, said to you at a ceremony that we believed in you and I think that you took that statement seriously,” Heaven remarked.”You believed in yourself as it is only a strong belief in yourself that could have led you to that victory.”Elon Parkinson, head of public relations at Digicel, also weighed in, expressing that Frew, Smith and Crooks had made Jamaicans and West Indians proud.”Michael, Odean, Shahid, big up,” said Parkinson.”You have made your schools St Elizabeth Technical and Maggoty High, your clubs, the Westmoreland and St Elizabeth Cricket Associations and by extension Jamaica and the West Indies, extremely proud.The West Indies last week defeated India by five wickets in the final of the ICC Under-19 World Cup, which was held in Bangladesh.last_img read more

first_imgALAMEDA — The next man up at quarterback for the Raiders is DeShone Kizer.The third-year player out of Notre Dame has jumped Mike Glennon on the depth chart and will suit up for his first regular-season game as a Raider on Sunday as the backup to Derek Carr against the Tennessee Titans at the Coliseum.“I was informed the other day I’d be given an opportunity to jump in and help the team,” Kizer said Thursday following practice.That doesn’t mean Kizer will play, given that Glennon has made …last_img read more

first_imgThe cloud computing pricing war is nothing new. In 2014, Microsoft, Google and Amazon entered a fight with the aim to gobble up the biggest slice of the market share by matching each other’s falling prices.What ensued was a price slashing spree in a few days’ span, in some cases dropping cloud computing product premiums by a whopping 85%. Some responded to the cuts as a relief, believing the companies have been unduly overcharging customers. Others took it as a sign of the market reaching its saturation. See also: Why you should think about the cloud like the electrical gridIn the sprawling cloud landscape, price cuts had been mostly confined to virtual machines. This allowed service providers to capitalize on steadily growing margins for the remainder of their product portfolio. Until now.What we are witnessing is a shift that is about to expand beyond compute and bleed into the wider domain of storage, including databases.Storage, the new battlefieldIn order to gain rather than lose market share, as competitiveness increased with new players entering the field, some made the move to lower their prices on virtual machines. According to 451 Research: Cloud Price Index, the rivalry spared services that extended beyond compute, keeping those prices steady. However, the pricing avalanche seems to be spreading.Over the last 12 months, object storage prices have dropped in every region, in some cases by as much as 14 percent. Meanwhile, the core of cloud computing infrastructure that seeks to extend the cloud’s reach across mobile and social platforms has dropped by 5% during the same time span. We seem to be entering a new era of demand and valuation duress that may affect a larger scope of cloud economics in the coming months.When did the cloud storage war start?IBM takes the prize as the quiet initiator of the new wave of pricing war. It began in the third quarter of last year with the company’s gambit to drop its storage prices. Soon, Amazon Web Services, Microsoft and Google trod on its heels with similar markdowns.“The big cloud providers appear to be playing an aggressive game of tit for tat, cutting object storage prices to avoid standing out as expensive,” said Jean Atelsek, analyst, Digital Economics Unit at 451 Research. He added, “This is the first time there has been a big price war outside compute, and it reflects object storage’s move into the mainstream.”As more enterprises move more data into the cloud, it will flood the space preparing it for the next big shift. Through this, storage is likely to remain a center focus, as providers prepare to capture new customers entering the market.Why now?Price cuts moving beyond compute could be the result of market reaching maturity. Analysts believe that what is responsible for driving down demand is cloud storage having permeated the farthest corners of web and enterprise. In fact, Cloud Computing consultant, Judith Hurwitz, went as far as to say that cloud computing has gotten so pervasive in the way we operate, it may soon vanish from the IT vocabulary.An additional factor contributing to the pricing war may spring from the growth of cloud-native development of apps. Composed of interconnected cloud services, Native Cloud Applications (‘NCA’) connect services run on distinct servers in one platform. This allows developers to break down their app into features that they can outsource to various locations. Due to its horizontal spread, this scalable approach aids in load balancing. It is also cost-effective because it eliminates the need to overprovision in-house hardware. This setup, at least in theory, allows an NCA to be shipped the same day it was completed, making it very attractive to developers.Adding to the vision of the cloud having thoroughly permeated our work environment is the rise of enterprises looking to outsource their scrum systems and data management to expert storage vendors, rather than hosting them in-house. This adds to the bulk of big data migrating out of on-site infrastructure, fueling the pricing war.The final, more ethereal driver behind the price cut timing could stem from our faith in the ubiquitousness of this model. It’s a form of paradigm that bets on the cloud’s long-term effectiveness, and thus must accept the oscillations along the way.Margins are still high in the cloud worldRegardless of the market’s shakedown due to the cuts, cloud computing companies are still reporting healthy margins. Amazon’s quarterly AWS revenue of $3.7 billion topped forecasts with a 42.6 percent growth, and an operating income of $890 million. Quelling shareholder’s anxiety was a net profit margin of more than 24 percent, even higher than in the same quarter a year earlier.Microsoft’s Azure, Intelligent Cloud reported the biggest revenue growth in the third quarter, reaching $6.7 billion, and growing by 93%.Alphabet Inc.’s share of non-advertising business, which houses its cloud unit Pixel, smartphones, and the Google Play store, posted a 49.4% jump in revenue to $3.1 billion at the end of the year’s first quarter. While Alphabet did not disclose the details behind the revenue spread, analysts have stated that majority of it came from the cloud.A look from aboveDespite the downward trends incited by the price wars, cloud services as a whole are not necessarily getting cheaper. A plethora of hidden costs keeps the margins blooming. Its substantial source? Data movement. Along with architecture and data processing, it’s been responsible for drawing the biggest slice of profits. Shuffling data from place to place is common practice and it is not free. And since once in the cloud it is an uncommon practice to withdraw, enterprises will keep paying the price.What’s next in the cloud war?As the market wheels keep on turning, there is no stopping the pricing trends that are already in the works. Prices for virtual machines and object storage will continue to fall. According to the 451 Research Digital Economics Unit, what we may soon get to witness are relational databases entering the competitive ring of fire. At the same time, expect to see new services such as Amazon’s Lambda, which is priced in time to execute commands versus pricing per virtual machine model.Also of note, the complexity of hosting applications is getting more and more onerous – Distributed Denial of Service Attacks (DDoS), Ransomware, and generally increased abuse of devices connected to the Internet – specifically the Internet of things (IoT) devices. With that comes an opportunity for cloud providers to help continue customers solve not only today’sWith that comes an opportunity for cloud providers to help continue customers solve not only today’s challenges, but the challenges that are faced tomorrow. With the opportunities ahead, the cloud landscape looks bright for hosting providers that can help customers succeed in a more connected, volatile hosting environment.The author is the founder and CEO of Atlantic.Net, a Managed Cloud Hosting company focused on providing valuable hosting solutions for businesses and healthcare providers, backed by world-class support. How Myia Health’s Partnership with Mercy Virtua… Why IoT Apps are Eating Device Interfaces Related Posts Tags:#Amazon#AWS#cloud#ddos#featured#Google#HIPAA#Internet of Things#IoT#Microsoft Azure#top Follow the Puck Internet of Things Makes it Easier to Steal You… Marty Puraniklast_img read more

first_img2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting FILE – In this file photo dated Wednesday, Jan. 11, 2017, Athletic Bilbao’s Aymeric Laporte in action during Copa del Rey, 16 round, against FC Barcelona at the Camp Nou in Barcelona, Spain. 23-year-old Athletic Bilbao says defender Frenchman Aymeric Laporte is reported Monday Jan. 29, 2018, to have paid his buyout clause, looks set to leave the club, opening the way for a transfer to Manchester City. (AP Photo/Manu Fernandez, FILE)MANCHESTER, England — Manchester City signed France under-21 international Aymeric Laporte from Athletic Bilbao for a club-record fee of 65 million euros ($80 million) on Tuesday, taking its spending on center backs since 2014 to about $250 million.The 23-year-old Laporte came close to joining City in 2016 — when Pep Guardiola took charge of the current Premier League leaders — but backed out of the move after feeling the Frenchman wasn’t quite ready.ADVERTISEMENT Vincent Kompany, the club’s other center back, has been at City since 2008 and is the captain. But the Belgium international might be surplus to requirements from next season, especially considering his injury record.City also spent about 120 million pounds (then $155 million) on three fullbacks — Kyle Walker, Benjamin Mendy and Danilo — in the last transfer window.“Last summer we had a problem, with six or seven players out of contract and over 30 years old, so we needed to make a change,” Guardiola said. “We decided to sign four or five different players and at this stage, Manchester City, when you want to compete at the highest level, you need to spend.“One day, maybe this club will spend 130-200 million pounds on one player. So far, we haven’t had to do that.”Laporte made his debut in 2012 for Bilbao under Marcelo Bielsa — a coach revered by Guardiola — and quickly became one of the Spanish league’s most promising players. He said he likes to bring the ball out from the back, giving him the pedigree that suits Guardiola’s vision and making him a likely rival for Stones to play alongside Otamendi.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers Foes first, friends after “Defenders do this more than ever before,” Laporte said in an interview with FourFourTwo magazine. “I spend as much time in training and matches working on starting attacks as I do stopping them.“I’m usually quite calm in possession, so this helps initiate quicker, more fluid attacks from the back. I also like playing long, cross-field passes to change the position of an attack and give us another option. Variety is important.”Barcelona has previously been linked with Laporte, who has similar qualities to Gerard Pique.The size of the fee reflects the shortage of top-quality, left-footed center backs around at the moment — and comes two weeks after City turned down the chance to sign Alexis Sanchez partly because of the Chile forward’s financial demands.Laporte has signed a contract until 2023 and becomes City’s most expensive player, with the fee exceeding the reported 55 million pounds spent on Kevin De Bruyne in August 2015.City has four of the five costliest defenders in Premier League history — Laporte, Stones, Walker, and Mendy.Laporte, who hasn’t played for France’s senior team, will be available for the knockout stage of the Champions League.“All I know,” he said in an Instagram message to Athletic’s fans on Monday, “is that I will never forget the place where I’ve become a better player and a better person. That’s why this is not a ‘goodbye,’ only a ‘see you soon.’” LATEST STORIES Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:59Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City Eighteen months later, City clinched the signing of the left-footed, ball-playing defender after meeting his buy-out clause, strengthening the team’s options in what has been a problem position for Guardiola and previous managers.“He’s strong in the air, good quality with the pass. He is experienced, fast and he has the skills we need,” Guardiola said. “He is the perfect age, 23 years old, so hopefully he will have a long career here at Manchester City.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutLaporte is the second most expensive defender in soccer history, with only Virgil van Dijk — who joined Liverpool from Southampton for 75 million pounds ($100 million) at the start of January — costing more.Since City won its most recent Premier League title in 2014, Eliaquim Mangala has arrived from FC Porto for a reported 42 million pounds and Nicolas Otamendi joined from Valencia for 32 million pounds in 2015. Another center back, John Stones, cost an initial 47.5 million pounds in 2016. View comments MOST READ Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Read Nextlast_img read more

first_imgDhaka: Myanmar on Monday expressed its readiness to take back Rohingya Muslims even as Bangladesh said the neighbouring country must earn the persecuted minority group’s trust for launching the repatriation process, amid fears of their fate once they returned to their homeland. The development came as a high-level Myanmar delegation visited the Rohingya camps in Cox’s Bazar and talked to their representatives. “I asked them (Rohingyas) that this is the right time to consider whether they should go back or not, because we provided explanation to their key issues,” Myanmar’s Foreign Affairs Permanent Secretary Myint Thu, who led a 19-member delegation, told reporters in Dhaka. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from US”Myanmar is ready to welcome the Rohingyas (back home)… but the only thing is they (Rohingyas) have to decide (about their return) by themselves,” Thu said. Bangladesh’s acting Foreign Secretary Kamrul Ahsan, who was also present at the briefing, however, said Naypyidaw must generate trust among the Rohingyas for their spontaneous return. “As long as confidence is not built up they (Rohingys) won’t go back,” he said. Ahsan added: “We (Bangladesh) won’t push back anyone forcibly”. Also Read – Record number of 35 candidates in fray for SL Presidential pollsSome 740,000 Rohingya fled a crackdown by Myanmar’s military in 2017 in Rakhine state and are living in camps in Cox’s Bazar. Myanmar has faced international pressure to allow the Rohingya to return to Rakhine and grant them citizenship rights. A 19-member Myanmar delegation in the last two days visited the Rohingya camps, one specially erected for Hindu residents of Rakhine who were also forced to flee their home along with the Rohingya Muslims. This was the third visit by a Myanmar delegation to the Rohingya camps, but this time they were accompanied by a 5-member ASEAN observer group during the interactions. Thu said during the interactions they tried to convince the Rohingyas to go back to Myanmar, saying the situation in their homeland in northern Rakhine is now better and called the discussion “very candid”. “Then we tried to build up trust between the community leaders and our delegation,” he said. Thu said they also showed fact-sheet to Rohingyas detailing the proposed repatriation process as well as their access to justice and access to education, health and social services. The top Myanmar foreign affairs bureaucrat said a part of the discussion was related to the Rohingya’s citizenship NVC card issues. Bangladesh’s Foreign Minister AK Abdul Momen, meanwhile, in a separate media interaction on Monday said Myanmar has expressed its plan for the first time to provide the Rohingyas the natural citizenship which he called a “major breakthrough”.last_img read more