first_imgTHE Twin Towns is in mourning following the death of noted businessman Michael Heeney.Michael passed away at his home at Dunwiley, Stranorlar following a short illness.Michael was best known as one of the proprietors of the Heeney’s U Drop Inn on Navenny Street in Ballybofey. Alongside his mother, Bridget, and brothers Terence and Aidan, Michael opted one of Ballybofey’s most recognisable haunts.Michael will be laid to rest following 11am Funeral Mass at the Church of Mary Immaculate, Stranorlar on Saturday morning.He sis survived by his mother Bridget, wife Bernie, daughters Rachael, Michelle and Meghan, brothers Patrick, Aidan, Martina, Eugene, Terence, John and Teresa and a wide circle of family and friends. Twin Towns mourns the passing of Michael Heeney was last modified: October 4th, 2019 by Chris McNultyShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:BallybofeyMichael HeeneyU Drop Innlast_img read more

first_imgGet live updates, news and analysis Sunday afternoon as the Raiders take on the Chargers in Los Angeles beginning at 1:05 p.m.Fresh off their first win of the season, the Raiders take on their AFC West rival Chargers, led by the Raiders’ archenemy Philip Rivers. L.A. beat the 49ers 29-27 last Sunday on the strength of Rivers’ three TD passes.In the process of knocking off the 49ers, Rivers climbed past … Click HERE if you’re having trouble viewing the gallery on your mobile device.last_img read more

first_img2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting FILE – In this file photo dated Wednesday, Jan. 11, 2017, Athletic Bilbao’s Aymeric Laporte in action during Copa del Rey, 16 round, against FC Barcelona at the Camp Nou in Barcelona, Spain. 23-year-old Athletic Bilbao says defender Frenchman Aymeric Laporte is reported Monday Jan. 29, 2018, to have paid his buyout clause, looks set to leave the club, opening the way for a transfer to Manchester City. (AP Photo/Manu Fernandez, FILE)MANCHESTER, England — Manchester City signed France under-21 international Aymeric Laporte from Athletic Bilbao for a club-record fee of 65 million euros ($80 million) on Tuesday, taking its spending on center backs since 2014 to about $250 million.The 23-year-old Laporte came close to joining City in 2016 — when Pep Guardiola took charge of the current Premier League leaders — but backed out of the move after feeling the Frenchman wasn’t quite ready.ADVERTISEMENT Vincent Kompany, the club’s other center back, has been at City since 2008 and is the captain. But the Belgium international might be surplus to requirements from next season, especially considering his injury record.City also spent about 120 million pounds (then $155 million) on three fullbacks — Kyle Walker, Benjamin Mendy and Danilo — in the last transfer window.“Last summer we had a problem, with six or seven players out of contract and over 30 years old, so we needed to make a change,” Guardiola said. “We decided to sign four or five different players and at this stage, Manchester City, when you want to compete at the highest level, you need to spend.“One day, maybe this club will spend 130-200 million pounds on one player. So far, we haven’t had to do that.”Laporte made his debut in 2012 for Bilbao under Marcelo Bielsa — a coach revered by Guardiola — and quickly became one of the Spanish league’s most promising players. He said he likes to bring the ball out from the back, giving him the pedigree that suits Guardiola’s vision and making him a likely rival for Stones to play alongside Otamendi.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers Foes first, friends after “Defenders do this more than ever before,” Laporte said in an interview with FourFourTwo magazine. “I spend as much time in training and matches working on starting attacks as I do stopping them.“I’m usually quite calm in possession, so this helps initiate quicker, more fluid attacks from the back. I also like playing long, cross-field passes to change the position of an attack and give us another option. Variety is important.”Barcelona has previously been linked with Laporte, who has similar qualities to Gerard Pique.The size of the fee reflects the shortage of top-quality, left-footed center backs around at the moment — and comes two weeks after City turned down the chance to sign Alexis Sanchez partly because of the Chile forward’s financial demands.Laporte has signed a contract until 2023 and becomes City’s most expensive player, with the fee exceeding the reported 55 million pounds spent on Kevin De Bruyne in August 2015.City has four of the five costliest defenders in Premier League history — Laporte, Stones, Walker, and Mendy.Laporte, who hasn’t played for France’s senior team, will be available for the knockout stage of the Champions League.“All I know,” he said in an Instagram message to Athletic’s fans on Monday, “is that I will never forget the place where I’ve become a better player and a better person. That’s why this is not a ‘goodbye,’ only a ‘see you soon.’” LATEST STORIES Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:59Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City Eighteen months later, City clinched the signing of the left-footed, ball-playing defender after meeting his buy-out clause, strengthening the team’s options in what has been a problem position for Guardiola and previous managers.“He’s strong in the air, good quality with the pass. He is experienced, fast and he has the skills we need,” Guardiola said. “He is the perfect age, 23 years old, so hopefully he will have a long career here at Manchester City.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutLaporte is the second most expensive defender in soccer history, with only Virgil van Dijk — who joined Liverpool from Southampton for 75 million pounds ($100 million) at the start of January — costing more.Since City won its most recent Premier League title in 2014, Eliaquim Mangala has arrived from FC Porto for a reported 42 million pounds and Nicolas Otamendi joined from Valencia for 32 million pounds in 2015. Another center back, John Stones, cost an initial 47.5 million pounds in 2016. View comments MOST READ Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Read Nextlast_img read more

first_imgSyed Mohammad Arif has nurtured some of the top badminton talents in the country, but Saina Nehwal was ‘special’. Now, his talented protegee has an Olympic medal to boast of.’Arif sir’, as he is fondly called in badminton circles, can vividly recall the 1998 summer camp in Hyderabad from where coach Nani Prasad Rao selected an eight-year-old from a bunch of 250-odd kids.”She was Saina and she was an average kid to start with. But as the days passed, I could make out that she was a cut above the rest,” Arif told Mail Today.”Saina was prepared to follow whatever she was told. She would never shy away from hard work and was always ready to push herself. She literally pushed her body to limits in the training. That is when I realised that she was a special talent and will go a long way.”Saina trained under Arif at the Lal Bahadur Shastri indoor stadium till the latter retired as coach from the Sports Authority of India. In 2005, Saina moved under Pullela Gopi Chand, who too has been trained by Arif.”At a young age, she used to compete in 4-5 events in age group tournaments and she would win. She was playing at the senior level when she was just 14,” he said.Arif also gives a peek into the sacrifices her family had to make. “She used to stay far off from the stadium and we would start at 5.30 in the morning. Her father or mother would bring her along and pick her up. To do that for years was not easy. The family has had to sacrifice a lot and I am happy for them today.”advertisementIt wasn’t just Arif, but the entire badminton fraternity that was waiting in anticipation for Saina to win a medal. “She has done us proud. We are extremely elated,” former Asian champion Dinesh Khanna told Mail Today.”She was the only non-Chinese player in the semis and it was not easy for her. She has played so well till the quarter-finals. She had an exceptional win against Tine Baun.”last_img read more

first_img‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes LATEST STORIES SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte View comments PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss MOST READ US judge bars Trump’s health insurance rule for immigrants Fowler pulled his tee shot on 18 left, landing in the tall grass between the church pew bunkers. He hacked the ball out short of the green and got up-and-down for the long-awaited victory.“I think he’s going to get more out of something like that, showing resilience and coming back like that, as opposed to going out there and winning by four or five,” said Justin Thomas, who finished third, three behind Fowler after a 72.Maybe in the future. Right after the round, Fowler was wiped out after the emotional roller coaster.“I never want to go through anything like that again,” he said. “That was not fun.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Oil plant explodes in Pampanga town Leading by four to start the day, he was up five shots stepping onto the tee on No. 11. The lead was one after a bizarre sequence of events at the long par 4.With rain picking up, Fowler hit his approach shot right of the green and his chip skipped past the flag into the water, incurring a two-shot penalty. He dropped next to a bunker and, as he stood on the green surveying his next shot, his ball rolled back into the water without being touched.PGA Tour rules official Slugger White determined Fowler’s ball was in play after the drop, so he was assessed a one-shot penalty. Fowler got up-and-down from there, knocking in a 17-foot putt for triple-bogey 7 — his seventh double bogey or worse when playing with a 54-hole lead.“That was a big kind of turnaround,” Fowler said. “At worst I make bogey with a semi-decent chip and I’m still very much in control of the tournament. But with everything that happened there, that was a (four-) shot swing pretty quickly. It sucks, but it’s just kind of put that behind me.”Grace made a 50-foot birdie putt just ahead on the par-3 12th and they were tied at 15 under when Fowler couldn’t get up-and-down from the bunker on the same hole. Grace went up one with a 3-foot birdie putt on No. 13.Fowler refused to cave.He reached the par-5 15th in two from 239 yards out and his two-putt birdie pulled him into a tie for the lead. Grace then pulled his tee shot into the water at the short par-4 17th, hit his third shot into the bunker after a penalty and took a bogey, giving Fowler a one-shot lead.Fowler drove the green on the 336-yard 17th and two-putted for birdie to stretch his lead to two shots.The drama didn’t end there.Grace got up-and-down for par from short right of the 18th green, finishing at 15 under after a 2-under 69. Fowler had another over-par round with a 54-hole lead — he’s 7 for 7 there — but birdied two of his final four holes to win from the third-round lead for the second time, with the 2017 Honda Classic the other.Fowler also had a double bogey on the par-4 fifth hole, becoming the first PGA Tour player to win with a double bogey and triple bogey or worse since 1983.“He really dug down and pulled it off,” Grace said.Fowler has experienced his share of heartbreak at the Phoenix Open. He had the 54-hole lead last year and shot a 2-over 73 to finish six shots behind Gary Woodlandr. In 2016, Fowler blew a two-shot lead with two holes to go before losing in a playoff to Hideki Matsuyama, twice hitting it into the water on the drivable par-4 17th.None of it compared to what happened to him Sunday.ADVERTISEMENT PDEA chief backs Robredo in revealing ‘discoveries’ on drug war Mighty Sports hurdles toughest test yet, stays unbeaten in Dubai tilt Unable to catch a break, Fowler took it upon himself to create his own.Fowler shook off a bizarre triple bogey on No. 11 with clutch shots down the stretch, finally winning the tournament Sunday that had twice eluded him.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine ‍football chiefSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption charges“I didn’t think it would be easy, but the way I was playing this week, I thought it would have been easier,” Fowler said. “It was kind of grind it out. I had a couple of tough breaks and had to deal with the punches — a couple big ones — but it feels good now.”After a pair of 64s and a 65, Fowler shot 3-over 74 in the final round on a soggy Sunday at TPC Scottsdale, highest by a winner in tournament history. He finished at 17-under 267 to beat Branden Grace by two shots for his fifth PGA Tour title. Grace Poe files bill to protect govt teachers from malicious accusations Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Rickie Fowler holds the champion’s trophy after the final round of the Phoenix Open PGA golf tournament, Sunday, Feb. 3, 2019, in Scottsdale, Ariz. (AP Photo/Matt York)SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Standing above a greenside bunker at TPC Scottsdale’s difficult par-4 11th hole, Rickie Fowler turned just in time to see his ball, one he had just placed after penalty, trickle into the water.Fowler had already seen his share of bad luck at the Phoenix Open. Now balls were rolling into hazards on their own.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woeslast_img read more

first_imgThe high performance weekend held at the new State Athletics Stadium saw an opportunity for Coaches, Players and Referees to join forces to further develop Touch Football at an Elite Level.There were a number of gentlemen that made the trip west to help and educate those members of the touch community that were able to attend. The specials guests included National High Performance Manager Wayne Grant, Australian 18 Girls Coach Peter Bell and newly retired Australian Captain Garry Sonda.For the coaches it gave them the opportunity to begin to upgrade from a level 1 to level 2 and then learn the new plans and practices that Australian teams are now using. The course was hands on and gave them an opportunity to see the men coaching in real life, and the techniques that are now being employed.For the players and referees on Saturday they were lucky enough to have fitness trainer Jeff Carter from Body Tech in attendance to give them a “warm up” into a real fitness session, and the fitness level they should be at before going on tour. And on Sunday the 15’s and 18’s along with a number of open representatives were able to participate in games and be coached by some of the best.WA Sport Program Coordinator Karon Boston:“We hope this event can become a permanent fixture on the Touch Football Calendar. The weekend was extremely worthwhile and thanks go to all those members of the touch community who were able to attend. Thanks also to those presenters and guests who attended”.TouchWest must thank a nuber of people for their attendance and participation they include: TFA Chairman Mike Rush, CEO Colm Maguire, Wayne Grant, Peter Bell, Garry Sonda, Henry Dos Santos, Freda Black and Jeff Carter. TouchWest would also like to make special mention to Karon Boston for her weeks of work to make this weekend possible.Related Filesmedia_release_hp_weekend-pdflast_img read more

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Chelsea boss Lampard delivers new Kante updateby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveChelsea boss Frank Lampard says N’Golo Kante could be back for their Champions League tie with Lille.Kante missed victory over Brighton yesterday with a hamstring strain.Lampard said, “I spoke to N’Golo about it and I didn’t want to take the risk. “He’s so important for us but it’s been difficult for him to get going because of the break-up of his pre-season, with his injury carried over from last season. It wasn’t right to risk it today but he could have a chance for Lille.” last_img read more

first_imgOctober is Cyber Security Month, and Calgary Police are hoping to help small businesses protect themselves.The service is holding a Cyber Security Session for small business owners and employees Tuesday night.The session will include details about how their companies may be vulnerable, and what can be done to protect them.The force says small businesses have been a favourite target of cyber-attacks recently, with malware even locking out important files until a ransom is paid.The session takes place from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. at police headquarters in the northeast.last_img read more

first_imgCaucasianBlack HairBrown eyes5’5″/ 130 lbsWearing, pink hoodie, brown pants, black shoesThere is a concern for his well-being.The RCMP would like to locate and speak with him as soon as possible.If you have any information on McKay’s whereabouts, you are asked to contact Grande Prairie RCMP at 780-830-5701 or CrimeStoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS. GRANDE PRAIRIE, A.B. – Grande Prairie RCMP are asking for the public’s assistance in locating 14-year-old Tyson McKay.According to RCMP, McKay was last seen in the Grande Prairie area on Wednesday, May 8.McKay is described as:last_img read more

first_imgNew Delhi: In a big bang election promise, Congress president Rahul Gandhi on Monday announced that 20 per cent families belonging to the poorest category will be given Rs 72,000 each annually as minimum income if his party comes to power. Making the announcement at a press conference here, Gandhi said five crore families and 25 crore will directly benefit from the scheme. “Final assault on poverty has begun. We will wipe out poverty from the country,” he said Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss bank a/c details Gandhi said the Congress has studied the fiscal implications of the scheme and consulted renowned economists and experts before finalising the scheme. “It is an extremely powerful, ground-breaking and well-thought through idea. We have consulted many economists on the scheme,” he said. “People have suffered in the last five years and we are going to give justice to them,” he added.last_img read more