The nature of the offence means Mourinho is most likely to face a fine, rather than a ban. Mourinho went to sit with the fans, making the day of those he sat next to, but his own frustration was clear. Speaking earlier on Monday, prior to the FA’s announcement, Mourinho insisted he did not understand his sending off. “I don’t know the reason why the referee stopped me doing my work,” he said. “Until that moment (when he is informed why) I’m not going to make any comment. “To be with the fans was not funny. It’s frustrating. “You want to communicate with the players and you couldn’t do it.” While he would not comment on his own conduct, Mourinho had plenty to say about that of Cardiff. Press Association Eden Hazard scored the controversial equaliser after Samuel Eto’o dispossessed Cardiff’s David Marshall as the goalkeeper bounced the ball, contrary to FIFA rules. That brought lengthy complaints from the Welsh club, but Mourinho had little sympathy. Speaking on Chelsea’s arrival in Germany at Dusseldorf airport, ahead of Tuesday’s Champions League Group E clash at Schalke in Gelsenkirchen, Mourinho said: “If I was in that game and I was paying my ticket, I would be worried with the fact that every time the ball was out or stopped and our opponent had to put the ball back in the game, it took a median (average) of 21.5 seconds. That is a waste of money. “When you multiply that by the number of times the game was stopped, you pay for 90 minutes but you see 55 or 60. “For me, that’s breaking the rules.” Mourinho insisted Eto’o’s interception was an “intelligent action” and that Marshall’s actions were a warning to aspiring goalkeepers, including his own son. The Portuguese added: “When I arrived home the first thing I told my kids who like to play goalkeeper: ‘See the goal and don’t be silly?’ And he’s 12.” Mourinho disagreed with FIFA’s law 12, governing the incident, which states “the goalkeeper is considered to be in possession of the ball while in the act of bouncing it on the ground or tossing it into the air”. He added: “If, in this moment, FIFA says that it’s a foul, it’s a foul. “But I think Samuel did well. Maybe the referee did wrong. “In my opinion, that should be allowed as it was for years. No contact with the goalkeeper. “The goalkeeper has six seconds to have the ball. They had almost half a minute. That’s breaking the rules.” Mourinho was also asked about another controversial ‘goal’ this weekend, when Stefan Kiessling had one awarded for Bayer Leverkusen when the ball went through a hole in the net. Mourinho said: “If I was the manager of Leverkusen, I would ask to repeat the game. “If I was the manager of Hoffenheim, I would do the same. “If I was working in the German Bundesliga – and you are one of the European countries that is not in economical problems – I don’t understand why you don’t spend a few million (euros) to bring technology on the line. “If it was the Portuguese or the Greek league, I would say no chance. But with the German one, I don’t know why you don’t do it.” Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has been charged with improper conduct after being sent to the stands during his side’s 4-1 win over Cardiff on Saturday. The Football Association has given the Portuguese until 6pm on Thursday to respond to the charge. There were a number of controversial incidents in the game, none more so than Chelsea’s disputed equaliser, and Mourinho was sent to the stands by referee Anthony Taylor after losing his cool.
Replacement centre Gareth Maule claimed the bonus-point try a minute from time, squeezing under the posts. But that was after Scarlets saw a 25-11 lead shrink to 25-23 in the space of two minutes following tries by wing Fionn Carr and full-back Robbie Henshaw. Two minutes later Richard Kelly, who had replaced Ball at half-time, went over but the referee said the player was held up. After scoring the opening try Jonathan Davies was involved in the second as scrum-half Gareth Davies went over under the posts for his ninth try of the campaign. Priestland converted to take his side in to a 20-6 advantage. Scarlets followed that with an incredible try started with Liam Williams in his own 22. Priestland and Kristian Phillips continued the counter attack finished off by Josh Turnbull. Scrum-half Kieran Marmion grabbed a try back for Connacht from a quick tapped penalty as the Irishmen reduced the deficit to 14 points at 25-11. Connacht finished strongly and grabbed two tries in the space of three minutes. First Carr latched on to a chip from replacement outside-half Miah Nikora, who also converted to cut the deficit to seven points, and he was followed over by Henshaw. But Nikora could not convert which would have drawn the scores level. In a dramatic finish Maule stretched over for the fourth try, but McKeon scored Connacht’s fourth. And after Maule’s score, Connacht managed to have the final say with a fourth try for Ewen McKeon to secure two bonus points. Scarlets welcomed back Rhys Priestland for the first time since the RBS 6 Nations Championship and also included their other Wales stars Davies, Liam Williams, Ken Owens, Rhodri Jones and Jake Ball. The Scarlets went cruised into a 7-0 lead inside two minutes through Wales centre Jonathan Davies. The move began after a quick tapped penalty in their own half by Priestland. Impressive wing Jordan Williams went on a 40-metre run before putting Davies over. If the home fans thought it was going to be a try-fest in the warm spring sunshine they had to rethink as Connacht replied with two penalties on six and 21 minutes. But Scarlets gave themselves some breathing space three minutes later when Priestland struck a 40-metre penalty from in front of the posts. Priestland struck the post with a second penalty eight minutes from half-time as Scarlets took a 13-6 lead in to the break. Four minutes into the second half Priestland had a chance to further improve his side’s lead only to find the post again with his 35-metre attempt. Scarlets had to endure a Connacht comeback late in the second half before claiming a 32-30 bonus-point victory in a dramatic RaboDirect Pro12 contest at a sun-drenched Parc y Scarlets. Press Association
When Syracuse last played a top-10 team — No. 8 Clemson on Oct. 19 — the Orange played a high line, pressed and set up to attack one of the nation’s best teams. Ninety minutes later, SU had been battered for seven goals at home. SU Head coach Ian McIntyre and multiple players called that loss “embarrassing.” He said he didn’t set the team up right.Sunday against No. 4 Virginia, the Orange needed to be more measured. More cautious. Then, Virginia scored two goals in the opening 18 minutes in Sunday’s ACC tournament quarterfinal. McIntyre had no other options. He subbed in forward Luther Archimede for midfielder Noah Singelmann. The Orange had to chase goals, even with the risk of getting embarrassed again.And while Syracuse outplayed the Cavaliers for much of the second half, it wasn’t enough. The Orange couldn’t overcome a slow start against a UVA defense that had conceded just five goals in 16 matches entering Sunday. Virginia (15-1-1, 6-1-1 Atlantic Coast) beat Syracuse (7-6-5, 2-4-2), 2-1, in the ACC tournament quarterfinal Sunday in Charlottesville, Virginia. SU will now await its NCAA tournament fate, which will be announced on Nov. 18.“Our guys left it all out there today,” McIntyre said. “Certainly not the start you want to go out and concede a couple of soft goals, but we grew into the second half and kept pushing forward until the final whistle. We just ran out of time today.”The Orange played 120 minutes on the road against North Carolina on Tuesday, traveled back to Syracuse, then back down south again to take on Virginia, who had nine days off to rest since the end of the ACC regular season.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textMassimo Ferrin started up top, appearing much healthier than he did in the Orange’s first-round match on Tuesday. His health, plus the return of Nyal Higgins to Syracuse’s backline, enabled McIntyre to return to his preferred 3-5-2 formation. In the opening 20 minutes, SU’s three center backs struggled to cope with UVA forward Daryl Dike. Dike ran at Sondre Norheim at the top of the penalty area, and as Norheim went in to tackle the ball, he brought him down and the referee pointed to the spot, awarding the Cavaliers a penalty.Syracuse goalie Christian Miesch, whose penalty save in the opening round helped them advance, guessed correctly again. He drove to his right and outstretched his hand, but Joe Bell’s penalty had just enough height to find the back of the net. When Dike took on fellow center back Dylan McDonald and beat him to the end line eight minutes later, Dike’s cross across the penalty area opened up the Syracuse defense. With Miesch now out of position at his near post, Nathaniel Crofts tapped the ball into the empty net. “He’s a dominant player,” McIntyre said of Dike. “He allows other players to play off him and made it difficult for us.”Immediately after the second goal, Archimede came on for Singelmann. One fewer midfielder and one more attacker meant that Syracuse would be more open through the middle, leaving them potentially exposed for counterattacks and adding more pressure to its back three which had already been stretched. “We went to chase the game at that time,” McIntyre said. “You’re 2-0 down and that next goal is going to be important for the game. They were dangerous on the counterattack because we were throwing numbers forward.”Syracuse registered a few half chances in the opening half, including a pair of John Austin-Ricks shots — one easily saved and another off target from inside the box. Virginia regained control of the match to start the second frame, and Miesch made a few critical saves and punch outs on set pieces to keep the Orange within striking distance.The Orange earned a corner in the 69th minute. The ball was delivered to the near post and UVA goalie Colin Shutler came out to play it. Before he could, a Virginia defender flicked it on to the far post, where Archimede was left unmarked. He didn’t miss. His outstretched right foot set up a frenetic final 20 minutes where the Orange probed and attacked, but never found the tying goal. “It would’ve been easy for us to roll over and accept defeat today, but we kept pushing until the final whistle,” McIntyre said. “I’m proud of effort today.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on November 10, 2019 at 4:27 pm Contact Anthony: email@example.com
Dear Editor,While the APNU/AFC Government tries to brag that it has achieved a lot in its four-year tenure, its brag lacks credible substance.The APNU/AFC Government seems a bit confused as to why people are not rushing to congratulate them. What is there to congratulate them about? The fact that they are out to enrich themselves (reference: 50 per cent pay rise for doing nothing); the fact that thousands of people have lost their jobs in a country with high unemployment; the fact that they have not produced the evidence about rampant corruption under the PPP/C Government.The list goes on and on but you get the picture.Clearly, the APNU/AFC Government is not comfortable with their performance or they would hold general elections as required by the no-confidence vote. They are afraid to face the electorate.Faithfully,Sean Ori