In recent weeks, many Vermont hurricane- and tropical storm-damaged businesses have sought emergency financing assistance from the Vermont Economic Development Authority (VEDA). In addition, VEDA wants to make sure Vermont farmers also take full advantage of the special financing assistance. ‘On August 28th, Governor Peter Shumlin announced the immediate availability of up to $10 million in special low-interest VEDA financing for Vermont businesses and farms who suffered damage as a result of Hurricane and Tropical Storm Irene,’ said VEDA Chief Executive Officer Jo Bradley. ‘While we’ve been receiving numerous applications for financing assistance from flood-damaged commercial businesses, we are concerned that Vermont farms damaged by Irene may not be completely aware of resources that are available to them,’ Bradley said. Additional financing for the emergency program, enabling the Authority to offer the lowest-possible interest rates, was approved by the State’s Emergency Board on September 13th. ‘We understand affected Vermont farms are still assessing the damages they sustained as a result of this terrible storm,’ said Bradley. ‘We encourage farmers to contact us as soon as they are able to.’ Emergency agricultural financing for farms damaged by Irene is available through VEDA’s agricultural financing program, the Vermont Agricultural Credit Corporation (VACC). The maximum loan size under the program is $100,000. The interest rate on the emergency VACC financing is 1% for the first two years with no payments required during the first year. At the beginning of the third year, the rate will adjust to the VACC Prime variable index. VACC financing is available for a variety of farm losses and damage attributable to Irene, including crop supplies, seed, livestock, fertilizer, machinery and equipment, fuel, lost inventory, and storm-related repairs to land, buildings and machinery. Applications will be reviewed and loans approved on a first-come, first-served basis until all available funds are exhausted. For more information, or to apply on-line, please visit www.veda.org(link is external), or email firstname.lastname@example.org(link sends e-mail).
Liverpool have rejected a bid from Arsenal for Luis Suarez and remain steadfast in their insistence the striker is not for sale. Press Association Press Association Sport understands the Gunners made an offer in the region of £30million for the Uruguay international last week which was rejected out of hand by the Reds. Despite the 26-year-old this summer voicing his dislike of his treatment by the English media and suggesting a move to Real Madrid would appeal, the club have no intention of selling, a stance which was not even tested by an offer well below what is considered Suarez’s true value. Suarez, who has three years remaining on an improved contract he signed last summer, is currently on extended leave after his involvement in the Confederations Cup. Neither he nor his representatives have spoken to Liverpool about any intention to ask for a move but his comments while on international duty in South America have left the club in a difficult position. It was expected any approach from Madrid would come after the end of the Confederations Cup but so far has nothing has materialised and the fear is the Spanish giants will leave it late in the window in order to drive the price down. Arsenal’s surprise bid may have been more strategic than realistic as they are currently trying to push through a deal to sign Real striker Gonzalo Higuain. Making an offer for Suarez may have just been a ploy intended to focus the minds of Bernabeu officials on signing off the Higuain move. Suarez is not due back for pre-season until July 22 and he will then be expected to join the club’s tour matches in Australia and Thailand.
Buenos Aires: Football legend Diego Maradona has resigned as head coach of Gimnasia La Plata, just 11 weeks after taking charge of the Argentine Superliga side. The announcement came after club president Gabriel Pellegrino, who was responsible for signing the 59-year-old, announced he would not run for another term in an election on Saturday, reports Xinhua news agency.“Maradona said that if there was no unity he would quit,” Pellegrino told a news conference on Tuesday.“He and his (backroom staff) tried to keep the club together, but that wasn’t possible. An election will be held on Saturday and whoever wins will choose the new head coach.”When asked about his future last week, Maradona told reporters that he would continue in the role only if Pellegrino remained.Maradona, who led Argentina to the 1986 World Cup title, took charge of Gimnasia in early September after agreeing to a contract that ran until the end of May.Gimnasia is currently 22nd in the 24-team Argentine Superliga standings with 10 points from 13 matches. Their hopes of avoiding relegation have been boosted by three wins in their past five fixtures. (IANS)Also Read: Diego Maradona Dismisses Alzheimer’s RumoursAlso Watch: Govt all set to push for the contentious Citizenship Bill in the winter session of Parliament
SANTA CLARA — Jimmy Garoppolo underwent surgery Wednesday on his left knee, having torn the anterior cruciate ligament 10 days earlier in a devastating injury that ended the quarterback’s season and racked the 49ers franchise.Coach Kyle Shanahan shared no further details on the procedure, such as where it was done, how it went, who performed it and what recovery timeline awaits, only noting it’s “way too early” to target a comeback date.Garoppolo’s teammate, Jerick McKinnon, knows all too …