Wuhan OpenWuhan: French Consulate General here has confirmed Roland-Garros Tennis Club will open in this city next year.The French Tennis Association will actively assist establishing the club as well as helping in tournament planning, organization and management, the French Consulate General said on Wednesday. China Electric Construction Real Estate Group Co. Ltd and the Wuhan Huangpi District Government will complete the contract with the French Tennis Association on September 30.The club is expected to hold a series of tournaments in the 2019-2020 season in a bid to attract more Chinese teenagers to participate in tennis and enjoy the charm of the clay surface that will be installed at the club. IANS
Colin Kaepernick is sticking to his word when he promised to give back to his community. The former NFL quarterback was spotted in Oakland, California’s “Tent City” this weekend feeding the homeless and supplying them with much needed help on his 32nd birthday.He partnered up with his foundation, Know Your Rights Camp, and provided backpacks filled with snacks, socks, shampoo, and more. Additionally, he also provided a food truck that fed all consumers on his dime. Kaepernick has been using his name and his foundation to provide for his community since at least 2016 when he was forced out of the NFL due to his National Anthem protest.While he is no longer playing in the NFL, Kaepernick seemed to be in great spirits as he handed out backpacks, food, and posed photos with fans.
Maher Legal Services PC(WASHINGTON) — President Donald Trump has intervened in the cases of three American service members convicted or accused of war crimes in Afghanistan and Iraq by issuing two pardons and maintaining the rank of one of the service members who’d been demoted. A White House statement issued Friday night announced Trump’s actions in the cases of Army Lt. Clint Lorance, Army Green Beret Maj. Matt Golsteyn and Navy SEAL Eddie Gallagher.Lorance is serving 19 years in prison, convicted on two counts of second-degree murder for ordering a soldier to fire on unarmed Afghan motorcyclists in 2012. Golsteyn is charged with the murder of an alleged Afghan bomb-maker in 2010. And Gallagher, while acquitted of killing a wounded Islamic State captive earlier this year, was sentenced to four months of time served and a reduction in rank for posing with a corpse during a 2017 deployment to Iraq.“Today, President Donald J. Trump signed an Executive Grant of Clemency (Full Pardon) for Army First Lieutenant Clint Lorance, an Executive Grant of Clemency (Full Pardon) for Army Major Mathew Golsteyn, and an order directing the promotion of Special Warfare Operator First Class Edward R. Gallagher to the grade of E-7, the rank he held before he was tried and found not guilty of nearly all of the charges against him,” the statement read.“The President, as Commander-in-Chief, is ultimately responsible for ensuring that the law is enforced and when appropriate, that mercy is granted,” the statement continued. “For more than two hundred years, presidents have used their authority to offer second chances to deserving individuals, including those in uniform who have served our country.”Speculation that Trump might intervene in the three cases began last week after Fox News contributor Pete Hegseth said the president could take “imminent action” in the form of pardons, commutations or dismissals of charges.“Our family is profoundly grateful for the President’s action,” Golsteyn said in a statement. “We have lived in constant fear of this runaway prosecution.”“Thanks to President Trump, we now have a chance to rebuild our family and lives,” he added. “With time, I hope to regain my immense pride in having served in our military. In the meantime, we are so thankful for the support of family members, friends and supporters from around the nation, and our legal team.”John Maher, Lorance’s attorney, told ABC News that earlier in the day that Trump and Vice President Mike Pence had called Lorance to tell him he had been pardoned.Maher said the staff at the U.S. military prison at Fort Leavenworth had not yet received a release order for Lorance, but a release could occur as soon as it was received. Lorance’s family members have been gathered at Fort Leavenworth for more than a week once speculation began that Trump might intervene in his case.The possibility of pardons has been controversial within the ranks of active-duty and retired service members because of the belief that such actions could undermine the military justice system.“This is so dangerous, nothing pisses me off more than these pardons,” a retired general officer fumed to ABC News after they were announced. “This undermines everything we have stood for — all my years of service goes up in smoke because we have a dictator who has no respect for the rule of law nor what we stand for.”Reports last week that sparked speculation of potential pardons led Defense Secretary Mark Esper to convene a meeting with Army and Navy leadership to review the war crimes cases, two defense officials told ABC News.According to one official, the meeting was to compile information packets about their cases that Esper could provide to the president.Esper later confirmed that on Tuesday he had “a robust discussion” with Trump about letting the cases play out in the military justice system.Both Esper and General Mark Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, later said that they favored letting the military justice system “play out.” Copyright © 2019, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.
As impeachment hearings into President Trump enter a second week, former Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi says the President wants to testify before Congress.Bondi, who now works as a special adviser to Mr. Trump during the impeachment inquiry, says the President wants to testify because he did nothing wrong.She told “CBS This Morning” on Wednesday, “No human being should have to come in and prove their innocence, ever.”However, Bondi thinks it is unlikely that Trump will end up testifying under oath.She adds, “No one would advise him to testify because this is a sham court.”
A Florida native is getting national recognition for her baking skills, especially Christmas cookies. Stephanie Torres, this week, won The Food Network’s ‘Christmas Cookie Challenge,’ which comes with a $10-thousand prize. Stephanie Bruce-Torres and host Eddie Jackson during the first challenge, as seen on Christmas Cookie ChallengeThe challenges Torres and the other bakers faced included turning cookies into Christmas cards and tree toppers.She says the experience was surreal, and she thanks her family and friends for encouraging her to go for it. Torres graduated from Pensacola’s Tate High School in 2009, and she now has her own business in South Florida. According to her website, Torres was a culinary specialist in the U.S. Coast Guard for six years.She left the service when her daughter was born and now runs the Little Love Cookie Company, currently based in Hialeah, Florida.Her husband is still active duty. One cookie pictured on her website includes the message “Home is where the Coast Guard sends us.”
If convicted, he could face the death penalty. On Thursday, Nikolas Cruz’s legal team asked a judge to delay the trial that was scheduled for January. The trial for Parkland school shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz will not begin until next summer, according to reports.Cruz’s trial was suppose to start next month, but his legal team fears that the trial is moving too fast . Judge Elizabeth Scherer said she will most likely begin jury selection over the summer for what will be perhaps the “biggest trial in the county’s history.”Cruz faces 17 counts of first-degree murder and 17 counts of attempted murder after he shot and killed several students at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland.
A Doral Academy Preparatory School teacher has been arrested for having a alleged sexual relationship with her 15-year-old student that was recorded on video.Police took Desiree Cartin Rodriguez,27, into custody on Friday after they discovered a video that confirmed the relationship she had with the teen.Doral Police spokesperson Rey Valdes says “It wasn’t like it was a hidden camera. She was aware that there was video. You can clearly tell by the proximity of her face to the camera that she was aware she was being filmed.” “I’m not going to go into details, but I can tell you it’s graphic and explicit, and we’ll leave it at that,” said Valdes.Police said Rodriguez, who is married, confessed to the crime and was placed under arrest. She is facing two felony counts of lewd and lascivious assault on a child.Doral Academy Prep fired her right away.Police will continue to investigate the incident.
President Donald Trump will be making a visit to Miami on Thursday for a meeting.According to the White House, the president is expected to land at Miami International Airport around 5:25 p.m.President Trump is scheduled to attend the annual winter meeting of the Republican National Committee at the Trump National Doral Resort. He is expected to stay in Miami for only a few hours, and then he is scheduled to fly back to Washington D.C.
The woman who is accused of driving through security barriers at Mar-a-Lago on Friday refused to appear before a judge this weekend to have charges read to her.According to the arrest report, 30-year-old opera singer Hannah Roemhild is charged with aggravated assault of an officer.After crashing through two security checkpoints at President Trump’s Palm Beach estate and having Palm Beach Sheriff’s deputies open fire on her SUV, she led them on a chase, where they lost her in traffic.Roemhild them allegedly picked up her mother from Palm Beach International Airport, and the two checking into a local motel. Deputies arrested her there a few hours later.The judge delayed her hearing until Monday, depending on whether Roemhild can be transported from the Palm Beach County Jail without endangering herself or deputies.
Eureka >> The Humboldt B-52s are currently firing on all cylinders, cruising into their eighth straight win Friday night with a 10-2 victory over NBO Baseball in the first of a three-game series.“Tonight was a good combination effort,” B-52s head coach Scott St. John said. “We got good pitching and we got hitting. The bats are starting to come around and guys swinging well. The big hits came when we needed them and we kept adding to the lead.”The Bombers grabbed the lead in the first inning …