–By: Nathan Quao/citinewsroom.com/Ghana IBF Lightweight champion, Richard Commey, may be enjoying his reign now as one of the kings of the division but he wants to see Ghana get more world champions in future and he wants to help in that regard.He revealed on Monday at the Jubilee House that he would provide some boxing equipment to boxers in Accra to help their development in the sport.He stated this when he presented his belt to the President, Nana Akufo Addo.“I spoke to my manager and I decided that it was not going to be all about me. It is about producing more world champions from Ghana and so, every year, I plan to give some equipment to the young boxers because they are very good.I will leave Ghana at the end of this month and come back around June with some more equipment. It will not be about Ga Mashie but it will for the whole country. As much as we can, we are trying to help nurture more world champions.”President Akufo Addo, commended Commey for the gesture and for winning the world title in February this year after knocking out Isa Chaniev in New York.The President added that Commey would get a car and an amount of GHS 50,000.Commey got the chance to fight for the crown after Mikey Garcia vacated it in favour of fighting Errol Spence Jr for the welterweight title.Commey is expected to make a defence but the details are unknown. What is known is that Commey has plans to fight Vasyl Lomacheko to unify the IBF, and the WBO and WBA belts currently held by Lomachenko.
zoomBy courtesy of Fincantieri S.p.A., all rights reserved Viking Jupiter, the sixth ocean cruise ship Fincantieri is building for Viking, was floated out at the shipyard in Ancona on May 10.Interior fittings will now begin, leading the vessel to its delivery, scheduled in 2019, according to the shipbuilder.The float out was introduced by the traditional coin ceremony, consisting of welding a silver dollar on the top deck of the ship.The 47,800-ton newbuilding, to be placed in the small cruise ship segment, will have 465 cabins with accommodation for 930 passengers.The first ship in the series, Viking Star, was built at the shipyard in Marghera and delivered in 2015. The other units, Viking Sea, Viking Sky and Viking Sun, which joined the shipowner’s fleet in 2016 and 2017, were all built at the Ancona yard. The fifth ship, Viking Orion, will be completed within the next few weeks also at the Ancona shipyard.As informed, the remaining ten units, including the one launched today, will take to the sea from Fincantieri’s Italian yards between 2019 and 2027.Last month, Fincantieri’s subsidiary VARD signed a letter of intent for the design and construction of two special cruise vessels to be built in its Norwegian yards. The two units are scheduled for delivery in the second quarter of 2021 and the second quarter of 2022, respectively. The deal includes an option for two more vessels to be built by the shipbuilder.
APTN National NewsIt’s called Spo’pi.The newly designed solar house opened its doors at the University of Calgary last week.The facility will serve as a research centre.It could also be a launch pad for future homes on reserves.APTN’s Keith Laboucan finds out.
OTTAWA — Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. saw its third-quarter profit drop compared with a year ago as the housing market showed signs of cooling off.The country’s largest mortgage insurer says it earned $387 million for the three months ending on Sept. 30, down from $467 million in the same period a year earlier.Revenue totalled $1.05 billion in the third quarter, compared with $1.26 billion last year.CMHC offers mortgage default insurance for homebuyers as well as loans for multi-unit residential projects and portfolios of loans secured by residential properties.It says it anticipates tighter mortgage rules, rising interest rates and a slowing economy to reduce demand for housing and continue to impact its earnings over the near term.The agency says for the first three quarters of 2018, the average CMHC-insured homebuyer bought a home for nearly $276,000 with down payment of 7.7 per cent. Nearly all CMHC-insured homebuyers chose a 25-year amortization period. Thirty-one per cent opted for a variable-rate mortgage over a fixed-rate loan.The Canadian Press
NEW DELHI: The Delhi Electoral Office (CEO) has received several complaints about the AAP government departments and BJP-ruled MCDs starting work on projects before the model code of conduct came into force, but seeking formal approvals later, an official said.The office of Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) has shot off a letter to head of departments, saying the projects that actually started on the ground after obtaining all necessary permission, before the poll code came into force, can be continued. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderThe model code of conduct (mcc) came into force on March 10 when the Election Commission of India (ECI) announced the dates for the Lok Sabha elections, which will be held in seven phases starting April 11. According to the letter, the CEO office has received various complaints and references from the ECI, public representatives about formal approvals being given to those projects after the model code of conduct came into force, but their ground work started before the announcement of dates of Lok Sabha polls. Also Read – Two brothers held for snatchings”It is also mentioned in some cases that in order to avoid MCC compliance, the new works have been started before March 10, 2019, however, their formal approvals etc. have been taken subsequently after the MCC has come into force,” stated the letter. The CEO office had on Thursday said over 2.25 lakh banners have been removed from across Delhi while 74 FIRs and complaints have been filed in connection with poll code violation. Of the 74 FIRs and daily diary entries lodged, nine are against the AAP (six FIRs, three DD entries), six against the BJP (four FIRs, two DD entries), one against the Congress (one DD entry), one against the BSP and 57 are under the head of others/non-political.
Kolkata: The Ministry of Home Affairs has turned down a plea of Mamata Banerjee government to retain 35 companies of central forces posted in once Maoist-dominated Jangalmahal region in south Bengal, a senior state government official said Sunday. The state government has then written to the ministry to reconsider the decision stating that the move might re-ignite Maoist problems in the region, he said. The forested areas of West Midnapore, Jhargram, Bankura and Purulia districts in the southern part of the state forms Jangalmahal. The areas which share border with Jharkhand were once affected by Maoist insurgency. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari Puja “A second letter has been sent to the Home Ministry a couple of days ago requesting it to retain the forces in Jangalmahal. A special mention has been made in the letter that withdrawal of the forces may re-ignite the Maoist problem in the area which has borders with Jharkhand. We are waiting for a reply from the ministry,” the IAS officer said. The ministry, about a fortnight ago, had informed the state government of its decision to pull out the 35 companies of central forces and deploy them on election duty in other parts of West Bengal. “We had written to the home ministry opposing the decision citing intelligence reports on the Maoists trying to regroup in the Jangalmahal area. We also have cited reports about visits of Maoist leaders from Jharkhand,” he said.
New Delhi: Delhi Police on Thursday arrested a 23-year-old man with his girl associate who used to honey trap old men with wealthy background and extort money from them.The accused committed five such incidents within a month in city. Police identified the accused as Parminder Singh and one co-accused girl, who were nabbed by the staff of Hari Nagar police station.Deputy Commissioner of Police (West) Monika Bharadwaj said that on April 1, the complainant reported that his friend has been held captive by a racket of persons at a house and the said persons have already taken money from them and one of the alleged persons is standing at the Jail Road, Hari Nagar for taking more money from the complainant. “He stated that one girl befriended him through WhatsApp and asked him to meet. On the regular persuasion of the said girl, complainant along with his friend went to meet the girl who came with one more girl to meet them,” said DCP West . Thereafter, the two girls took complainant and his friend to one rented accommodation in Tilak Nagar on the pretext of enjoyment. The second girl took friend of the complainant in a room and the first girl locked the room from outside. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderDCP further stated that at the same time, three men and two ladies entered the house and threatened the complainant to implicate him and his friend in a false case of rape.They also threatened that they would defame the complainant and his friend by leaking their video to their relatives and society. The accused persons took Rs 10,000 from the complainant and further demanded Rs 20 lakh from the complainant. Thereafter, friend of the complainant was held captive in the same house and complainant along with one accused was sent to bring more money. Thereafter, complainant on the pretext of arranging money asked the accused person who came along with the complainant to wait near Jail Road and came across with the police team. Also Read – Two brothers held for snatchingsThe police team first arrested accused Parminder Singh from Jail Road and conducted raid at the premises where complainant’s friend was held captive by the accused persons, but the said premises was found locked. Further investigation revealed that after releasing the friend of complainant, all the accused persons escaped away from the premises. The police team conducted several raids and one co-accused girl has also been arrested. DCP West further revealed that Parminder has committed more than five incidents of extorting people through honey trap in the last one month with the help of his racket. His racket comprises 4-5 ladies and 3-4 men. Accused persons mainly target old men of wealthy background.
In 2014 the Big Ten will welcome Rutgers University into the conference, in a move that, unfortunately, will also bring Rutgers basketball coach Mike Rice and athletic director Tim Pernetti.An ESPN “Outside the Lines” segment that aired Tuesday showed Rice bullying players during basketball practices from 2010-2012. The coach was shown shoving players, throwing basketballs at them while they were not looking, insulting players with expletives and perhaps most offensive of all, using derogatory slurs regarding sexual orientation.According to “OTL,” tapes of the harsh practices were brought to the attention of Pernetti last summer, but nothing was done. Months later, in December 2012, an internal investigation was launched into the allegations. The investigation only resulted in a $50,000 fine and an unpaid three-game suspension for Rice. Pernetti is also on record saying he never considered firing Rice, who finished the season with a losing 15-16 record.To never even consider firing a coach who physically and emotionally abuses his athletes is outrageous.To call athletes fa–ots and keep Rice at his job is unbelievable, and furthermore, that the athletic director knew about it and let Rice stay makes the situation that much worse. Clearly neither of them has a proper understanding of how to treat individuals, let alone the young minds of those players they have been trusted to care for.To allow Rice to continue to coach seemingly condones the violent behavior toward students and the negative slurs often used toward the gay community that were hurled at his players.Perhaps most troubling, Rutgers is no stranger to dealing with acceptance, or lack thereof, of gay individuals. In September 2010, Rutgers student Tyler Clementi committed suicide, and it is believed he did so due to bullying from others about his homosexuality. The case drew national attention and even resulted in criminal charges being filed against Clementi’s roommate for invasion of privacy.Clearly the athletics department at Rutgers did not learn a lesson from this incident.The Big Ten, or at the very least Ohio State athletics, has higher standards than the way these two men have behaved and have been allowed to behave.Both OSU athletic director Gene Smith and President E. Gordon Gee have talked, before the Rutgers incident, about inclusion and acceptance of all athletes and students at OSU.“Inclusion is something I’ve always believed in,” Smith said in an exclusive interview with The Lantern on March 12. “I’ve always believed that a diverse environment allows you to have different thoughts and different views and ultimately you get the best out of that environment.”Gee agreed.“I believe that athletes, non-athletes (whatever), we want to be a university that is very friendly to all of our students and our faculty and staff,” Gee said while visiting The Lantern on March 25.Rutgers needs to let Pernetti and Rice go. A three-game suspension in December means nothing to a basketball program and is insulting to the memory of Clementi. Their behavior is not the kind that should be allowed into Big Ten athletics.
From 1 July, your compulsory superannuation contributions will start to increase. The increase will be gradual, moving from 9 per cent in 2013 to 12 per cent in 2019. The rise is going to boost Australians’ super accounts over the long term. An increase of 9 per cent to 12 per cent is 33 per cent more into your retirement savings, which is significant. So this is a time to get serious and ask, am I doing all I can to grow my nest egg for retirement? The key to this is the compound interest effect. The joy of having your money locked away for several decades and earning interest is that it gets a chance to compound (earning interest on the interest), and along with regular contributions – not to mention a concessional tax rate – your savings are accelerated. The compound effect works best when every cent is being worked on so you must concentrate as strongly on costs as you do on revenues. But if you have a look at your annual super statement you’ll see a list of figures with a minus sign in front of them. These are the withdrawals from your balance, for fees. The largest fee is the management fee, the percentage of your balance that is taken to administer the funds. Take two 30-year-olds, each earning $60,000, with $30,000 in super. One of them is paying 0.9 per cent in management fees and the other, 1.5 per cent. By the time they retire, the person paying 0.9 per cent has paid $77,892 in fees and the other, $118,649. Management fees are easy to compare online and switching to a more reasonable fund can save you thousands, over $40,000 in the case above. Other fees also differ across the industry, as do life insurance premiums. Importantly, when you find cost savings in super, you boost savings without taking market risk. Returns are also important. I’m not a fan of reviewing super performance every year, because when people change investment options in line with the hottest performers, they always miss the growth period by several months and then they are charged for changing. It’s better to set up an investment framework based on your risk profile, which relates to what you want to earn in returns. In terms of fund selection I suggest you look at a fund’s ten year performance. This is not a guarantee of future performance but it does show you how a manager performs with a long-term savings vehicle like super. This is especially the case with volatile assets such as shares and property – you should be looking at what a manager can achieve over a decade, because this gives you the time in the market to weather the troughs and still take the gains. Remember: small differences are important in superannuation and if you can lift long term returns by 1 per cent, and reduce costs by 1 per cent, you are boosting your super without taking much risk. Finally, superannuation is not a tax. This is your money, so become engaged, stay informed and retire the right way. * Mark Bouris is the Executive Chairman of Yellow Brick Road, a financial services company offering home loans, financial planning, accounting & tax and insurance. Email [email protected] with any queries you may have or check www.ybr.com.au for your nearest branch. Facebook Twitter: @NeosKosmos Instagram
Former Arsenal’s midfielder Jack Wilshere left Arsenal to Chelsea a few days ago and his former boss Unai Emery has revealed why Wilshere ended his 17-year stay at Arsenal.After Wilshere moved to West Ham, he revealed his thoughts in an emotional message to fans on social media while admitting that Emery had made it clear he won’t have him in his plans for next season.However, Emery on his own revealed how the England international star departed, describing it as a ‘tactical and technical decision’.“The conversation with Wilshere was a very good conversation,” said Emery via Football London.“I explained to him my opinion and how I want to create the team and that I’m not sure he would play in the 11 players.Merson believes Arsenal should sign Sancho Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho might be the perfect player to play for the Gunners, according to former England international Paul Merson.“And also he explained to me that the decision was not easy for him but he wanted to choose the best option for him.“I know this player is important for the supporters and he grew up here in Arsenal, but I don’t give him one spot in the eleven who start.“So for that, he chooses to leave and I respect this.”When asked if Wilshere’s past injury record had played a part in his thinking, Emery added simply: “It was a tactical, technical decision.”