The United Arab Emirates and Israel share threats to their national online networks, the Israeli cyber-security chief said on Thursday in a rare public discussion of potential cooperation with his counterpart following the normalization of relations.The establishment of formal Israel-UAE ties over the last month – spurred in part by common worries about Iran – unleashed a flurry of bilateral deals, including on cyber technologies, Israeli exports of which were valued at $6.5 billion in 2019.”We are threatened by the same threats … because of the nature of the region, because of the nature of our new, ‘outed’ relations and because of who we are – strong economically and technologically,” Igal Unna, head of Israel’s National Cyber Directorate, told UAE counterpart Mohamed al-Kuwaiti in an online conference. “We see already things in fast progress and I am very optimistic that we have a lot in common and a lot to share.”Kuwaiti described the UAE as potentially at risk of online sabotage including ransomware attacks as it develops its digital sphere. He promoted the idea of international cooperation – including in joint exercises – in cyber defense.”Israel is very well-known on the technological part and that will really help,” Kuwaiti said.Doron Hadar, commander of the Israeli military’s crisis negotiation unit, said during the conference that dealing with ransomware attacks is “not a ‘win/lose situation’, it’s a ‘lose/lose less’ situation. So [with] the right negotiation and dialogue … you will manage the situation and you’ll survive.”Kuwaiti described normalization with Israel as a “step forward” for the UAE government as it pursued things like smart government and artificial intelligence technologies. The UAE valued its cyber-security market at $490 million last year.Neither Kuwaiti nor Unna explicitly named threats to their countries. Israel has elsewhere described itself as in a cyber-war with arch-foe Iran. Topics :
When authorities determined that a 9-year-old boy playing with matches had inadvertently started the Buckweed Fire, they declined to press charges. And now they have concluded that five partying young men inadvertently started the Malibu fire over Thanksgiving. As a result, prosecutors have charged the men with felonies. In both cases, authorities made the right decision. Unlike the boy who caused the Buckweed blaze, the men in Malibu were all adults. Moreover, they all knew, or should have known, that starting fires in the cave above Corral Canyon is illegal. Doing so during a dry season of hot Santa Ana winds only compounded the infraction. So did failing to report the fire to authorities. That recklessness caused $100million in damages. Those responsible should be held accountable, if for no other reason than as a warning to others who could make the same horrible errors in judgment. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: Clemson demonstrates that it’s tough to knock out the champ 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!