Dec 29, 2005 (CIDRAP News) – China has recorded its seventh human case of H5N1 avian influenza, involving a 41-year-old factory worker who died Dec 21, according to the Chinese news service Xinhua.The victim was a woman surnamed Zhou who lived in Sanming City in the eastern province of Fujian, Xinhua reported today. She became ill with fever and pneumonia on Dec 6 and was hospitalized 2 days later.Samples from the patient initially tested negative for the virus, but later tests by provincial and national laboratories were positive, the report said.The Chinese Ministry of Health said no poultry outbreak of H5N1 was reported near where Zhou lived, according to Xinhua. The report did not suggest how she might have contracted the virus.People who were in close contact with the patient are under medical observation, and no problems have been seen so far, the report said.China’s previous six human cases have been widely scattered, including two deaths in Anhui province and nonfatal cases in Hunan, Liaoning, and Jiangxi provinces, plus Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, Xinhua said. The last previous case was reported Dec 16 in a 35-year-old man from Jiangxi; the outcome has not yet been announced.The World Health Organization’s current overall human case count stands at 141, including 73 deaths, not counting the Chinese case reported today.A trial of a human H5N1 vaccine developed in China began Dec 21 with six volunteers, Xinhua reported. “The whole trials will need nine months of tests, but initial results are expected within the first three,” the story said.China has reported 31 outbreaks of H5N1 avian flu in poultry so far this year, according to Xinhua. Twenty-six of those have occurred since Oct 19, an Associated Press report said.
To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
Eating out this holiday? You may want to pay close attention to these eight South Florida restaurants which were recently shuttered by state inspectors due to health code violations.A Haitian pastry shop in North Miami was shuttered by the state after an inspector found a live rodent floating in a sink with food storage containers.The rodent was found at Cayard’s Bakery in North Miami, where records also show a roach infestation, A “stop sale” was ordered for food that was found to be out of temperature. This is the second time this bakery has been ordered shut. State records show Cayard’s was also ordered shut in April 2015.Meanwhile, roach activity was also found at:The Waffle House on Powerline Road in Fort Lauderdale;La Perla El Rincon Del Mar at 13742 SW 152nd Street, Miami Beach;Masa Taqueria at 6974 Collins Avenue in Miami Beach;Jalisco Restaurant At 1661 NE 8th Street, HomesteadPrime Cafe & Ice Cream at the Florida Keys Outlet Marketplace, 250 East Palm Drive, Florida City;Claudie B At 545 West Lucy Street, Florida City; andInkas Grill At The Florida Keys Outlet Marketplace at 250 East Palm Drive in Florida City.However, state officials say all the restaurants have since been allowed to re-open following an ordered clean up and re-inspection.