Beloved jammers The String Cheese Incident continue to share new material from their newest creation, the SCI Sound Lab. The Sound Lab is the band’s first-ever self-operated studio space, allowing for maximal songwriting and production creativity.The Sound Lab was introduced in the form of a three-song EP recently, with the promise of more new music to come. The band has just delivered on that promise, sharing the Keith Moseley-written new single, “Get Tight.” With Tyler Grant providing some tele picking on the track, it’s a perfect track in time for summer!You can read our interview with Michael Kang to get a complete sense of what the SCI Sound Lab is all about! Stream the new single, “Get Tight,” below.
Here’s a quick roundup of stories you may have missed today.Don’t Raid the Oh, Hello StarsMove over, Lea Michele the Goat. John Mulaney and Nick Kroll, who wrapped up their Broadway debuts in Oh, Hello last month, are the latest to receive the honor of having two Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches to be named in their honor at the Bronx Zoo. We can’t think of a better way to celebrate the success of your recent Broadway run than having two cockroaches named after you. Congratulations? Sam Rockwell Joins Lily Rabe FilmBroadway alum Sam Rockwell will star in the dramedy We’re Just Married, joining the previously announced Lily Rabe and Chris Messina, Variety reports. The Rodrigo Garcio-helmed project was first announced in 2012. Rabe’s father, Tony winner David Rabe, has penned the script. The movie is set in the 1970s and follows a tempestuous love triangle between a couple in a dwindling marriage and their neighbor. No word yet on a production timeline or release.Tony Awards Win Directors Guild AwardWhile the 2017 Tony Awards are just four months away (not that we’re counting), last year’s ceremony just received a special honor. Glenn Weiss and his directing team have won a Directors Guild Award for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Variety/Talk/News/Sports-Specials. This marks his seventh win for the Tonys, having won previously in 2007, 2010, 2011 2012, 2013 and 2015. Catch Weiss’ work once more at the 71st annual Tony Awards at Radio City Music Hall on June 11. Woke up to this letter. Thanks Wildlife Conservation Society and Bronx Zoo! No matter what happens @nickkroll and I will survive as Roaches. pic.twitter.com/nx4d7oSGi1— John Mulaney (@mulaney) February 6, 2017 View Comments John Mulaney & Nick Kroll(Photo: Emilio Madrid-Kuser)
Published on February 24, 2018 at 10:26 pm Contact Sam: [email protected] | @Sam4TR Facebook Twitter Google+ DURHAM, N.C. — Jim Boeheim left his news-making press conference and made it about four paces before he suddenly stopped.“Lefty!” he yelped, and extended his right hand for the older man to shake. Standing in the doorway leading to the Cameron Indoor Stadium floor was Lefty Driesell, the 86-year-old former Blue Devil player and legendary college basketball coach whom Duke had invited back for Saturday night’s game. The two men sized up one another. “You look good,” Driesell said. “I got to,” Boeheim responded. “I work out. My wife will yell at me if I don’t. I’ve got teenagers!” AdvertisementThis is placeholder textDriesel shook his head and told the 73-year-old, “Stay young, man. Stay young.” Then Boeheim smiled warmly and walked down the hallway, farther away from his press conference that reflected thoughts formed long ago, farther away from one of his few peers who remember those times too.Here are three takeaways from Boeheim’s comments about recently unearthed NCAA violations by agents, their impact on amateurism and what college basketball does next. The involvement of agents is inevitableOn Friday evening, the ongoing college basketball scandal that originated in September took on new meaning. Yahoo! Sports published documents from the FBI probe detailing the expenditures of former NBA agent Andy Miller, his former associate Christian Dawkins and the agency ASM Sports. Expense reports and balance sheets in those documents detail what appear to be illegal bribes, benefits and/or payments to big programs and prominent current and former players. No player has been punished by the NCAA. Boeheim said that he’s known for decades — 30 years, precisely — that agents have been involved in the families of star players. He said he has no issue with agents involving players, Syracuse included, as long as it is legal. When payments and bribes are made, that’s where Boeheim said he draws the line. “This should not surprise anybody that agents are trying to get clients,” Boeheim said. “You have the one-and-done factor, you need to get them early. You need to get them. You can’t wait. That’s not surprising. The thing that’s been surprising this year is obviously that 60 coaches (are) involved.”Boeheim added: “We have blinders on. We have blinders on. Agents are going to do that.”College basketball players should not be paidBoeheim’s larger point when discussing agents lies in the fact that removing amateurism entirely from big-time college basketball is not a viable solution. Paying high-level college basketball players won’t mean agents will stop trying to go after young players, Boeheim said. The 73-year old then looked back to his playing days, when he played at SU from 1963-66, and went from walk-on to captain. He said he received a full ride throughout college, alluding to the fact that that may be enough, or nearly enough, compensation for players. Dino Babers, Syracuse’s head football coach, took a similar stance when asked in October whether college football player should be paid. Babers said a scholarship “is more than enough compensation.”“What’s so disheartening for me is when people who are so intelligent keep saying, ‘They’re making millions of dollars,’” Boeheim said. “We make our share just like everybody does at Syracuse. We make our share on the tickets. Our athletic department barely breaks even. If you just say, ‘Don’t have any other sports, and basketball makes $16 million, then we should be giving it all back for the players.’ But all that money (SU men’s basketball generates) pays for everything else.”By “everything else,” Boeheim referenced non-revenue sports, such as soccer, softball and field hockey, all of whose expenses exceed revenue. He later said that having athletes participate in endorsements would be “unbelievable.” It is unclear exactly why he said that, but he said, generally, that “we can try to do more in basketball … hopefully they’ll come through with solutions. We’ve got a great game.”The one-and-done rule ‘has to go’Established in 2006, the one-and-done rule requires U.S.-based players to be one year removed from high school before being eligible for the NBA Draft. Until then, players were eligible to enter the draft out of high school, like LeBron James and Kobe Bryant. But the rule was implemented because of concern over whether players were mature enough to enter the NBA. The result has been a college basketball landscape including players who have no intention to stay at school more than one season required. Ten of the first 11 picks of last year’s draft were college freshmen. Last year, it was reported that NBA commissioner Adam Silver was considering getting rid of the rule. He said he got the sense that it wasn’t “working for anyone.” There could be consideration of not scratching the rule altogether, but rather raising the minimum age to 20 to enter the draft. Boeheim is vehemently against the rule, he said on Saturday. “It won’t change the whole game, but (getting rid of) one-and-done would help,” Boeheim said. “Hopefully we’ll get guys who want to be in college. If they really want to go, they should be able to go (to the NBA out of high school). Bill Gates didn’t want to go to college. I think he did alright. Golf, tennis players don’t have to go to college. “I think that would help. It won’t change the whole thing. It will help somewhat. We have a great game … it’s not going to change a thing. Not one thing. There’s tons of good teams right now that don’t have a one-and-done. We can easily survive. That’d be a big step.” Comments
WASHINGTON, D.C. – In sweeping decisions, last Friday Federal Courts in New York, California and Washington all issued last-minute temporary injunctions to stop the Trump administration’s “public charge” rule, preventing it from taking effect on October 15 as originally planned.Had the controversial rule been allowed to take effect, the new policy would have made it more difficult for immigrants to get green cards by allowing U.S. immigration officials to unilaterally decide whether or not an immigrant will use public benefits including medical and healthcare assistance in the future.What Inadmissibility on Public Charge meansCalled “Inadmissibility on Public Charge Grounds,” the rule expanded the types of prohibited public aid, including cash assistance, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), state and local cash assistance and long-term medical care at government expense, “non-cash” benefits, such as Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (known as food stamps), Section 8 housing and rental assistance, Medicare Part D prescription drug benefits, and Medicaid in non-emergency situations. The strict policy further required immigrants to provide extensive information and documentation, including those regarding finances, assets, savings, debts, and credit scores among others. The rule granted broad discretion to immigration officials to weigh a wide variety of “negative factors,” including the applicants’ age (specifically if an applicant is under 18 or over 61), health, education, work skills, income and family status, in order to deny their applications for residency (green cards).Forms removed from USCIS websiteAs a result of these temporary court orders, USCIS immigration forms which were specifically revised to implement the new public charge rule have been removed from the USCIS website, including the updated Form I-485 application for residency, Form I-129 and the new form specifically created for immigrants to complete to provide information about income, assets and credit, called Form I-944, Declaration of Self-sufficiency.Efforts to limit immigration to the USThis latest rule is just one in a series of efforts by the White House to limit both legal and illegal immigration to the U.S. President Trump recently signed a proclamation barring the entry of legal immigrants who cannot prove they will have healthcare coverage or the means to pay for it within 30 days of their arrival in the U.S. This latter rule is set to take effect on November 1st. Under this proclamation, entitled: Presidential Proclamation on the Suspension of Entry of Immigrants Who Will Financially Burden the United States Healthcare System, only immigrants who can show they can pay for “reasonably foreseeable medical costs” or are already covered by approved health insurance would be allowed to enter the U.S. As yet, no guidelines have been released by the administration which outline the proof necessary to meet the requirements and to date, no federal lawsuits have been filed to stop implementation of the terms of the proclamation, although challenges may be filed at the last moment!Caution: Halt of public charge isn’t permanentIt’s important to note the halt of the public charge rule is not permanent, and the Trump administration has the option of appealing the temporary injunctions while the lawsuits continue through the regular process in the state courts.The Supreme Court may ultimately grant a review of the issue and with a five to four conservative majority, may well rule in Trump’s favor. As a result, early filings for residency under the current more liberal policies would still be advisable.